Parts of Hummie Build (2.0) - Thoughts?

Hey all! I’ve been trying to put together a Hummie build for quite a while now but progress has been really slow, just due to other commitments.

Some of you may have seen my previous post asking for feedback about my potential parts choices, and I appreciate those responses. I’ve put together a new parts list based on the feedback I received from that other thread.

The main purpose of this build is a commuter build, riding to and from university, about 25KM away each way, so range and not being monstrously oversized is important.

I’m a fairly skilled DIY’er and have experience building 18650/21700 packs with a spot welder, and am handy with a soldering station.

Here’s the list, and I’d greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Deck and Enclosure
Hummie deck and Big Boy enclosure from Nexus Boards; I’m trying to fit a 12S 7P P42A battery so the Big Boy enclosure allows me to fit that. I also really like the cutout in the Hummie, so I can fit a big battery without an oversized battery tray.

Drivetrain
I’ve landed on a Torqueboard’s direct drive kit as the drivetrain. I’m aware of the issues surrounding the TB DD (axles bending, QC issues) but direct drives appeal to me so I’ll be extra careful (reassembling them with loctite, etc).

Electronics
I’ll be going with the MakerX DV6s ESC or the Torque 6 dual esc, I’m inclined to go for the latter because of the heatsink which might be useful after long commutes. Anyone have experience with their ESC overheating after long rides?

Wheels
The TB110’s, they’ll come with the direct drive kit and I’d like to run big 'thane wheels considering my urban commute (the roads on my commute are pretty smooth so the utility of pneumatics might be limited…).

Battery
I’ll be building my own 12S 7P Molicel P42A pack. I’ve build 18650/21700 packs before, and I’ll be upgrading to a Kweld for this project.

That’s pretty much it for the main parts, but I have one main question about compatibility; would the TB DD hangars be compatible with the Boardnamics adjustable baseplates? I’ve been reading some stuff on this forum about clearance issues with the TB DD and the Hummie deck, solved by carving out an area of the deck to lower the baseplate ([This build]), but I’d like to avoid that if possible by gaining some extra height with the adjustable baseplates.

Thanks for reading!

2 Likes

My hyperlink didn’t seem to work, so here’s an example of a build with the routing for the baseplates: The Stage | Hummie Deck | Gummies | Dual VESC 6 | Dual 6355 | 10S5P | 3D Printed Enclosure

1 Like

I would not use that direct drive kit without the steel axle upgrades, which will probably be very difficult to find, as I believe they were a once-off manufacturing run.

Why not these?

Thanks for the reply, I had a look at your link about steel axle upgrades and it looks like Radium actually has some in stock right now: Steel Torqueboards Hangar Direct Drive (Group Buy) for Electric Skateboards Longboards Eskate Esk8 DIY – Radium Performance

About the Carvon motors, they seem a little… underpowered? I’d like to keep up with cars on some parts of my commute and have some accelerating power. Not too familiar with Carvon though.

Carvon is out of business. If those axle upgrades are still available, I would use them.

Love to see more Hummie builds coming about. Hopefully the steel axle upgrade provides enough clearance for the motors/deck/wheels. Clearance issues with Hummie decks seem to be the main obstacle in most builds, but once that’s overcome it should be smooth sailing with other mechanical portions of the build. Good luck mate

Thanks man, I actually saw your build a few days ago, pretty much the ideal build. After seeing your 80KM range on a 12S 4P I decided to go that route myself.

1 Like