Ordered incorrect shaft length

You could always use Loctite RED or Green or whatever the permanent one is, they are used for attaching pulleys anyway. Stick some in, let it dry, then put your pulley on later

2 Likes

Thats what she said

It was not my intention for him to only use loctite. I meant that the key could be secured into the shaft with loctite, and then grub screw and pulley as normal, also loctited in the threads of course.

2 Likes

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Well. What else is new :man_shrugging::joy:

Agreed lol

1 Like

Tape the motor carefully before shaft cutting, the steel dust will want to get into the motor to make sweet love to the magnets, you don’t want that to happen.

2 Likes

I take it an angle grinder for this is common practice?

Yeah that’ll work. But with great power comes great responsibility. Wear eye protection and secure the motor.

Or use a little baby tool like a Dremel

Hacksaw is another option

1 Like

Over here, mate

Have been doing this on 250 6374 maytech motors. Its no problem. The motors is magnetic, so make sure to protect it when you cut it.

Wouldn’t D shaped be “even better” than a keyway for this?

No. Which is why any serious machinery uses a keyway, is stays put, whereas a grub can loosen off and allow the shaft to spin.

2 Likes

What actually happens if you get steel dust in the motors?

1 Like

TOP TIP…

Order your motors from Bioboards along with a load of other stuff and they will probably be willing to help you and cut them for a small fee (offer then 10 euro to do it or something).

Most of the really good DIY suppliers here, haggy, bioboards, pjotr, understand the problem parts of builds and will happily go out their way to help.

The Iron gremlins attack in force.

Or you can cause a motor short, killing your ESC maybe you too.

It’s kinda theoretical we’ve all found bits of stuff on there that shouldn’t and windings are laminated, still it’s good practice, like motor hardening and adding debris shields which don’t cause heating issues

1 Like

MAJOIR BAD SHIT!!

imagine filling the wires with sand and spinning the motor at 10,000RPM… how long till it fails???
Now imagine you have Sand that is 100times harder and now sticks inside the motor and will not shake loose and fall out with vibration… Now spin the motor at 10.000rpm with hardened stainless streel dust stuck in the wires and motors

1 Like

Was this in reply to me? I mean using a D shaped shaft and a D shaped pulley hole. Or hell, a square shaft even.

I can personally attest that this is a valid strategy. I used a sawzall with a metal blade, a key sized for the keyway, and some red loctite.

I used up the blade completely, and the cut was pretty clean.

I’m at 200 miles+ with no issues related to this setup.

1 Like

A D shaped pulley is a different matter for sure, but still a keyway/key combo is industry standard for serious motors.

I was really targeting D shaped shafts with a circular hole pulley and a grub screw which is not a great idea

1 Like

No, I don’t prefer D shape, but D shape is better for me than using only adhesive on a round shaft. Keyway still rules all.

1 Like

enough iron fillings in a BLDC motor can lock it up… ask how I know… the sand here is high in ferric material…

2 Likes