One Wheel dangerous?

I don’t even know how one could find those numbers. Actual vs reported, minor vs severe.

Add bicycles in, or not?

Those are very muddy waters. I have zero idea or competence to begin to unpack that world.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I saw peer review studies come out with those numbers when the lime and bird started scooter bombing city streets. It showed scooters being more dangerous than bikes. I’m not sure the research has begun to include one wheels yet, but it probably will in the future.

1 Like

I totally agree they don’t. That is why its silly. There is certain amounts pressumed risk. Instead of acknowledging the risk people assume they just say “hey this can fling you to your death” well so can any moving object you stand or sit on if it was moving at speed and suddenly stopped. Its just inflammatory peral clutching.

Am I the only one shocked not to see a single mention of ghosting? As far as I’m aware nosediving is more of a limitation of the form factor than the FM technology and more or less a form of rider error. Ghosting however is a huge problem IMO because 1: ghosting does not happen due to a mistake on the part of the rider 2: ghosting puts people other than the rider in danger, any OW rider is agreeing to a certain level of danger simply using the product but some random child in a park who just so happens to be in the path of a ghosting OW never agreed to the danger of any board sport and their safety should be prioritized over the rider. 3: FM is clearly aware of the ghosting issue and put out a half baked solution that seems to have kinda almost helped a little.
The focus of this article seems skewed to me.

4 Likes

Fuck the OneWheel, it’s an dangerous deathtrap and Future Motion is insanely negligent.

I hope this sinks the company, truly.

Esk8 is dangerous but OneWheels are on an entirely different level, due to how they can fail and how they launch the rider up & forward, which is where the ‘eject’ language comes from, imo.

I had an XR randomly nosedive on me at 12mph (80%+ charge) without warning and seriously injured myself in the process. Never again.

5 Likes

Hard . So hard. Don’t buy it dinner.

I’ve been saying they’re dangerous since I first saw them :rofl: but the same issue is true for all devices where your balance/ stance controls the acceleration. If you hit any sort of bump or uneven terrain and end up leaning while regaining your balance it will accelerate and make you fully loose balance.

It might also help, that aside from a few exceptions, all injuries that occur on an esk8 are usually the riders or someone else’s fault and not the device itself. Also the few issues that were due to bad hardware didn’t result in any deaths from what I’ve seen at least.

The feeling of a fall and being launched off due to the board abruptly stopping are so different. Although unless you have felt both I do agree that it is very easy for someone to think they were launched off when they really weren’t

Most of my falls have been just falls, but I have had two where it was as close to a launch as you can get on an esk8. Both due to my board coming to an immediate stop in less than a second. Worst one was when my defective surf adapter broke in half and then the other was when a “finished” bridge had a gap the same diameter as my wheel. On the bridge both me and my board got launched and it is the only time my board has ended up flipped upside down and was 5 or more feet away from where I ended up since I think it slid after flipping over. also those are probably the only 2 accidents where I could say I wasn’t at fault. the surf issue less so though since If i had known how they were supposed to turn originally then I would have known it was defective to start with

I’ve taken more falls than I can count on esk8 and push boards but only once have I been launched, I was pushing my own limits on a push board to make it to a bus stop on time, I rode over one of those grates that we have over tree roots
tree-begins-to-lift-grate
Kinda like this but square, while riding over it I found out it wasn’t entirely secured to the ground and when my weight reached a certain point the entire grate shifted about 3in downwards leaving what is essentially an unavoidable small curb 6in in front of my wheel while going a good 22ish mph, being launched is so much more terrifying than a fall.

Any time I have to ride over grates it scares the crap out of me and I haven’t had any issues like that before. So thanks for justifying that fear ?

Now wait until you end up experiencing the worst form of launch: an uphill launch. Due to gravity you end up coming to a very abrupt stop which is so much worse on your body internally than being launched and being able to slide on the pavement. :scream:

My surf adapter breaking was at least 5mph slower than the bridge fall and yet it had me bed ridden for a week after while the bridge fall just had me sore but I could still mostly function. Also likely had a minor internal injury which is why I couldn’t leave the bed for so long. Just messed up one shoulder and knee on the bridge.

1 Like

https://recall.onewheel.com/

Im surprised this hasnt become talked about yet

All who called it say ay

This is in addition to Future Motion, Inc. intentionally wiring their battery polarities backwards with the apparent express intent to cause a fire if a repair is attempted on the board outside of their facility.

I’m not sure this can be twisted with any amount of mental gymnastics to appear as a kind and caring action for humanity.

4 Likes