Not Quite a Build Thread

This is a repair thread. I had a wipeout on my first build a few months back. It was ugly. Ambulance ride to a weekend in the ICU. I just finished paying the medical bills, $12,000 out of pocket, on top of what my insurance paid.
Why am I boring you with this story? Because I made three mistakes in my build that caused my crash. This is my confession.
The accident went down like this. We (wife trailing on fast kickscooter) were on a busy street just past a big intersection with train tracks. Always lots of debris in the bike lane. I hit something, my wife said what looked like a piece of chrome trim from an auto went flying up in the air. I was at cruising speed 25-27 mph. The last thing I remember is wondering why my skateboard was suddenly turning. The next thing I remember is the emergency room so I don’t know if it hurt.
When I checked out my board after I found out why it suddenly turned. The entire front truck got knocked catawompus.

I had put at least 1000 miles on this board without any problems. But I knew in my heart it was my fault all the way. The Subsonic Century 40 deck has a very deep drop. I had used two 1/2" urethane risers stacked to get the ground clearance I needed. I never felt great about that because I was worried the long bolts, the stacked riser, and the trucks could all shift. That was exactly what happened.
Mistake 1 - stacked risers.

Here I could see each riser and the truck slipped a little to the side to allow the misalignment. I wasn’t done making mistakes though.
Mistake 2 - long stainless steel bolts. I knew I should have ordered alloy steel but I thought with four number 10 bolts and enough preload I would be okay. No. Don’t believe it. This is how much the long stainless steel bolts bent.

Mistake 3 - I did not use anything to stabilize the bolt heads. Just the bolt head and washer could dig into the wood deck and rotate.

So. I have learned a lesson. Even though it is not a drop thru deck I added @3DServisas X-braces to stabilize the bolt heads. I replaced the stainless bolts with black oxide alloy steel bolts. I first replaced the stacked risers with a single piece injected riser that @257 was kind enough to send to me.

Thanks @257. That got me back up and riding again the past few weeks. I was still waiting on aluminum risers to be really safe. @surfnacho machined me a set. They are made in two halves. In one half the holes are tapped so the bolts that hold the truck hold the riser very tight in position - no slipping possible. The two halves are bolted together at counterbored holes. The counterbore could have been a touch deeper - even button head fasteners were a little bit proud. So I ground down the bolt heads before installing.

I reassembled everything yesterday. Great work by @3DServisas and @surfnacho for everything to line up through that big stack.

I dropped a new set of @RipTideSports bushings in the trucks while I was replacing the risers. Yes, I did the repair on both front and rear trucks. Went for a ride this morning. It felt great. Thanks to all who helped.

30 Likes

Why does this post remind me of my fall… :thinking:

Glad you back on the up n up… glad you pointed a lot of these things out as there are a lot of us using risers… and not doing so properly

10 Likes

Sincere appreciation for making this thread. You may have very well saved someones life in the future.

Certainly saved some wallets :grimacing:

Too soon.

8 Likes

I feel like we need more of these.

9 Likes

Can you drop a link for the bolts you used?

1 Like

https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/rounded-head-screws/hex-drive-rounded-head-screws/alloy-steel-button-head-hex-drive-screws-8/

3 Likes

Hold my beer

4 Likes

No, in all seriousness though, I’ve had the same failure before. I suppose if I’d made a thread about stacked risers, then maybe some folks might not have gotten hurt :cry:

I kept feeling a sudden jerk sometimes when I’d hit a bump and the vehicle would ride slightly different but I never could figure out why. Then one day I happened to grab the wheel while the skate was off the ground, and I noticed the whole truck could rotate :scream:

So yes, I tighten my not-stainless-steel hardware very, very tight and always use washers and never use countersunk bolt heads on a wood deck. I also periodically (every few months maybe) grab a wheel and try to turn the truck stack, especially on late-model and aging skates.

This is definitely a dangerous failure mode to watch out for.

I do still use stacked risers though — but I do it carefully, and with this in mind.

6 Likes

I discovered that you can upside down drop a baseplate through a deck and use it as a riser… I want to epoxy them into place permanently on a deck.

I kinda got this idea from planning to repair a damaged TB40 by epoxying in the “top plate” dex was selling for it. Glad I did not spring for that because there is an updated version planned with useful holes!

5 Likes

this is so weird ahahhaha
…is this thing on the nose for use like a binding or something? hahahaha

This is fuckin awesome, doood :star_struck: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :mechanical_arm:
GENIUS!

1 Like

Nope, it’s all in the thread. Not trying to derail this one :rofl:

1 Like

Mostly more hijackin than derailing :joy:
Ill watch out.

1 Like