New Jotnar/Radium/MBS Board. First Build

Hi. First Build
It has taken me months to get this far. After a couple of years or riding around on an Evolve GTR (which is really good, but mine maxes out at 35kmh and at that speed is really unstable despite a lot of fiddling) I decided to build my own. There are a few really good people here in Australia, and apart from a setback with @psychotiller everyone has been incredibly supportive and helpful.

I’ve applied the frit to the deck using this system:

I’d probably use less frit if I had my time again, but I’m pleased with how it looks overall

The hardest part was bolting the enclosure to the Jotnar deck using the Psychotiller guide, which I have just done. It is years since I have done any “woodwork” stuff but I still have my old tools. Here’s the link to the guide, which works pretty well:

I bought the MBS trucks ages ago. They are fine, but the bushes are a bit soft for my 85kg so I’m ordering some stiffer ones. The motors and mounts are from Radium:

This is the first time I’ve put it all together to see what it would look like. Motors are in the wrong place I know. I’m waiting for the battery, ESC etc from Full Send Electric:

I’m pretty pleased with it so far. Here’s the pics:

Motors are in the wrong place I know. I’m going to fix them when I next get some time.

8 Likes

Looks nice!
(Hard to see in the photos) Do you have any wedges on the trucks? If not it’s not going to turn - matrix are channels and made for a deck with angled tips. Or you can splash and get the bling adjustable etoxx baseplates Adjustable Baseplate - E-Toxx-Shop

2 Likes

None at present. Some rubber things came with the trucks but they are not wedges and I thought they would make the whole thing too soft. Might get the Etoxx ones - I’m way over budget already so it isn’t going to make that much difference.

1 Like

Have a search on here, bound to be a street deck (non mtb)build using them that you can look at.

Here

2 Likes

Hey dude, cool looking build!
Yeah I’m running the etoxx adjustable baseplates with matrix trucks, they are expensive AF but honestly worth it. The orange bushings should be fine, especially since you can adjust the angles on the baseplates to get more stability. Otherwise if you want to do so bushings tuning I’d really recommend the Radium riptide adapters, gives you the ability to use lacroix bushings and there is a nice selection, better than mbs’s anyway

5 Likes

Thanks @Dunkan and @rosco. Amazing build D - there’s a really good vibe here in Oz for esk8
I’ve emailed etoxx and I’ll get the baseplates!

2 Likes

Hit up @glyphiks at full send also. They had some for sale I think also. May be gone now, could save some shipping :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah I was going to say Fullsend had some stock

2 Likes

We have Aus stock

8 Likes

Damn son that’s pretty sick for a first build

1 Like

I’ll have a pair! Sent you an email.

2 Likes

Thanks @Kai

Also, we sent that battery out quite a while ago now… :thinking: i will chase that up.

1 Like

Just found these:

Could maybe have used these instead of the adjustable ones. Has anyone tried them?
I’m happy with my adjustables from @glyphiks in any case.

2 Likes

You need 35+ degrees.
These aren’t steep enough. They are made for fine tuning.
There are some fixed angle plates which could work but not as nice as the adjustys
Read this…

1 Like

I have a set of 35 degree risers if anyone needs

1 Like