New e-skater starting from the very beginning: a BMS. Any veteran skaters got some spare advice?

I’m aiming to start riding e-boards soon (as soon as the snow melts and the grit gets sweeped, of course).
As I am a bigger guy, there’s obviously going to be more strain on the components than if I was lighter- so I guess I’m looking for slightly sturdier components by default?

Any fellow, larger, skaters have any suggestions? Components, or just general advice is most welcome!

1 Like

Are you comfortable bypassing BMS for pack output or do you want all the protections from a BMS?

1 Like

Most people here would advise you to not discharge through the bms and use an external antispark, an xt90 loopkey or ESC’s that can sleep instead. Discharging through a bms can lead to condictions that cause it to cut power and that will most likely end up in a fall.

1 Like

The d140 is the go to BMS for “charge only” use.

There is the Daly smart BMS folks also use.

Most of the high amp boards use charge only.

Actually Daly’s dumb BMSes are the go-to for charge-only nowadays. Some people have had bad luck with Bestech, and Daly’s are easier to come by and waterproof too.

3 Likes

Oh, the red ones?

I guess I’ve been out of the bms game for a while. Using lipos lately.

Speak of the devil, link to Daly thread.

1 Like

I’d prefer reliability and battery life, at least until I get some skill (and most important: proper inventory).