New build advice and help

Alright everyone-

Have a flux board coming in w enclosure
Looking to build a 12s8p or thereabouts w 21700s
Have an extra unity sitting around
I really like the matrix oil slicks
Have a vx1 that took maybe 4 months to arrive or could go w a hoyt

Will want to make an all terrain build …

Debating direct drive vs belt (open to either)
Have been reading the builds done w it so far and enjoyed skyart’s build tremendously.

Need advice on wheels/hubs/mounts and further guidance. The gf will be out of town mid September and want to crank this beast out so want to order everything soon. Thanks all- happy Friday!

2 Likes
  1. Where are you located?
  2. Debating direct drive vs belt
    Will want to make an all terrain build

Due to AT wheels requiring a gear ratio of 1:3 or higher, even with 4WD, you will have hotter motors per a specific acceleration speed than with belt or gears. If you don’t plan to have a super powerful board, then 4WD with direct drive could totally work, but it’s more expensive all together than just getting a pre-assembled 2WD gear drive, so I don’t think it’s worth it personally.

I would go with belts or gear drives if I were you. If you want to use matrix trucks, then Moon’s drives could be a great option, if they were readily available for purchase :stuck_out_tongue:

If you don’t plan on pushing your limits and the board’s while at it, go for DD. Simple but gets hot fast and gets expensive going to 4wd.
But if you want a good beast for street and offroad, I’d go with belts or chains. Belts are almost maintenance free but chains have a nicer response to throttle (imo)
If you want a true offroad monster with a beautiful sound, go for geardrives.
The last build I will make is a 4wd 10inch tired with geardrives

I don’t know if I would use direct drive for an all-terrain build.

Belts or chains or gears would work a lot better.

2 Likes

I’m totally ok w using belts again- I built a lovely loaded vanguard clone on a belt driven system and it has been amazing so far

I’m not light… 230lb- hoping the board will tolerate me.

With respect to motors, 170 vs 190kv? I was looking at the maytechs… still deciding what to grab but could use some guidance. Cheers guys!

Did you get the “DIY” enclosure version? That’s slightly enlarged to for 12S9P 21700 easily.

I’m waiting on my preorderd DIY deck to come in as well, hopefully this month if they have had any delays. And I’ll be building a 12S9P P42A pack for it (I’m gonna need the amps).

If you do plan on taking the board all terrain not just having pneumatics for the road DD is probably gonna be more of a pain. One miscalculation on a rock size and you dent the can, need a new motor. Less likely to hurt them with belts but also more likely to tear a belt.

1 Like

What country are you in?

I’d maybe skip Maytech and go for Torqueboards

The motor Kv is a complicated decision based on many factors

What is your:

• battery geometry
  • country of residence
  • motor and wheel pulley/gear ratio
  • wheel outside diameter
  • preference for “smooth starts” vs “reliable operation”
  • bindings, do you plan to use them
1 Like

Battery geometry- unknown- likely dropping either molicels or Samsung 40t in there… deliberated a build w 50Es for added range but not sure it’ll give me the amps i need

Thanks for the reply- country- USA! Recently moved to Chicago and ran into some fellow forum members on the lakeshore path a few days ago!

Motor and gear ratio- unknown- used the evolve all terrain wheels from a defunct evolve gtx on my last build

Open to wheel sizes as well

Smooth starts are great- reliable is better

No plan on bindings

Essentially- I’m building a board to ride around unreliable terrain (potholes etc)- I don’t plan on truly off-roading except for the rare ride through a patch of dirt/grass or gravel

Thanks for all your help everyone

1 Like

I would go for 190Kv on 10S or 12S and run it without motor sensors

I indeed did get the DIY version and want to get all my gear in order to build to my hearts content

1 Like

:rofl: dude sounds like a awesome build I know @EDness has a matrix belt setup he wants to get rid of :call_me_hand: @tipsy has someGD 3dser and there is frannys market :rofl: @CiscoV he’s got a lot of stuff

3 Likes

Absolutely true :point_up:t3::rofl:

1 Like

Which part, Cisco?

1 Like

This part, maybe not enough for an intervention yet but getting there :joy:

1 Like

I can tell you right now @CiscoV has nothing you want. Stay away. Mine.

5 Likes

Bahahah. 3Dservisas drives are @Jujo’s lol

2 Likes