New Battery Build: 12s5p Lishen LR2170LA

And not make a build thread? That’ll make it harder to update the post as I progress through the build and harder to link back to it when I document putting it into the rest of the board build thread.

Anyway, to a more pertinent point, you would be properly served from surveying the thread for photos of other builds.

It’s in those photos that you’ll see a number of nickel shapes to fit different configurations or parallel groups. As well, ways to approach cutting nickel for unconventional groupings.

Or, search the histories of builders like @Skyart @BenjaminF @JoeyZ5 @glyphiks and other prolific contributors.

6 Likes

Hence why I asked for suggestions for my use.

I guess if nobody will give an opinion, I’ll just go with what I’ve seen which is rounded rectangles (like a long squircle)

We arent here to spoonfeed you everything. At this point go look yourself. You have tons of resources and a search button

Nobody’s asking for spoonfeeding of anything. I expressed an openness to opinions, in return I got trolling,

I’m sorry if I’m in the wrong here but I just don’t see what’s got people’s pants in a bunch.

If you aren’t going to help then please don’t hinder.

1 Like

A problem we have is that any cells we buy can be from different batches and have been stored under different conditions. All of the cells could be perfectly fine but those different manufacture dates and storage conditions can lead to different voltages once we get them.

The voltage differences can also be due to different self-discharge rates. This is normal and won’t affect anything unless the board is regularly stored without charging/balancing for months. Then the pack would need some time to re-balance before use to regain its original run time.

I’ve had cells arrive with a 100mV range between them but they tested essentially identically with tight tolerance capacity and IR readings (the critical things to measure to match cells).

Using cells that are closely matched can help make for a longer-life and higher performance pack though so it’s always recommended to use the tightest grouping cells (capacity and IR but voltage if that’s all you can read) when possible.

3 Likes

AC IR or DC IR or both?

I use DC IR since it indicates voltage sag but AC IR (at 1kHz) gives you an idea of electrolyte performance so I would guess that it could also be used to match cells. I do not know which method might be better for different applications. Testing would have to be done.

2 Likes

More like 0.01, 3 digits is too unrealistic lol

2 Likes