Neo Hubs weird scratching noise

Hey guys,

Finally decided to try and do something with the infamous Neo Hubs i had laying arround.

Just did motors and app setup, and now i get this weird scratching noise.

If i just barrely push the trigger the motors seems to spin correctly, no weird sound, but if i push the trigger just a bit further i get this weird scratching noise.

Any idea what it may come from ?

Are you on 5.3 firmware? I have an issue with this as well. But riding wise there isnt the sound, only when pushing it past 90% throttle and then itll start to make that sound

1 Like

I’m on 5.2. Well the noise starts after maybe 5 / 10% throttle.

Here is what iget with RT data on vesc tool

Barrely touching the throttle =>

Pushing above 5/10% throttle =>

I get weird current spikes

It’s because you don’t have boas on the front

5 Likes

You may be pushing 5-10% throttle, but the duty cycle is already hitting its limit. This is somewhat normal under no load. Try riding them, and report back if the sound persists. I don’t think it will :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Ok, thanks, I never noticed that on other drives with so little throttle, but i’m not used to hubs.
I’ll try to ride it as is and see if anything weird happens

Click on the reply and watch the video.

It’s a thing since vesc fw 5.0 and onwards. As @rusins said the vesc is hitting the duty cycle limit. It is a non-issue while actually riding and the sound does not appear when you full throttle. It might a little at the very very last bit but usually you are at max speed before your remote hits the end of the throttle space anyway.

2 Likes

Had the neos opened, think its in the official thread.

Found strands of copper sctraching the can and the bullet connectors had very poor soldering job.
Detection result varied by 50% just resoldering those bullets, so might wanna check those :slight_smile:

Also If I’m not misstaken, the cable runout from the hub kind of bites down on the cables abit, might be worth adding some dampening, shrinktube, glue or w/e.

Edit, found the thread:

2 Likes

Ok, thanks for the advice I already resoldered the connectors, but I’ll try to open the hubs.

1 Like