My journey through ESK8 and time

I love ESK8

Earliest memory of chasing some power is when I was a toddler. Grandparents had this ridable plastic car toy where you pressed a pedal and it would vibrate like it had an engine, but it was could just barily roll freely. I don’t remember much about it but, I do remember being convinced that it could power itself for some odd reason.

One time I sat down on it, and pressed the pedal and it started driving! I was super excited that it was suddenly working! The steering was not very responsive so I eventually realized my aunt had snuck up and started pushing it around and watching me steer.

Anyways after that I tried building tons of ridable creations throughout my life leading up till now. (Knee deep in a build and sinking fast)

The most notable of these projects I’ve mentioned once before. Someone gave me a cheap old B&D electric weed whacker that just had a broken frame, it all worked. I proceeded to attempt to make the worlds worst gear drive. I was 13. If only I knew what I was getting in to.

The “mount” was Legos built to conform to the skateboard truck and the brushed motor. Wrapped in duck tape then duck taped to the trucks. This was then strapped to the truck with a hose clamp tight af squeezing the Lego mount, motor and truck to hopefully reduce rotation. Then all wrapped in duck tape.

Now I give you glorious test footage. I’m pretty sure I was aware of how it would look in several years

Gotta love that PWM (Pulsed With Myhand)
This must be one of the later tests, initially I used the trigger from the tool. Think I melted it.

Despite the quality you see I am still impressed I was so interested in making that piece of crap. Something about me knew it was cool and worth effort.

-To be completed another day-
Bonus pic. Peep the top right wheel.

13 Likes

fixed da link on that video… @PedroMcJimenez

this thread is just about esk8 being something you loved from you moment you thought about it.

1 Like

another pic and running vid of second and much better attempt at a handmade drivetrain.

3 Likes

Thats fucking awesome dude!

1 Like

What I think is awesome looking back, is the same exact time I was getting my first ever “Real” DIY ESK8 parts for this build:

Top speed run on that first brushless build^

I also had this CAD model I was working on. I was 18 yo and had just graduated from HS.

The Bajaboard looked cool alright?

later at the end of 2018 I started to become interested in trying to buy a Freebord and make it electric.

2 Likes

That’s awesome that you made a motor mount out of legos and you didn’t eat shit while riding it. That was a young engineer in the making lmao. Glad to see the progression in your builds, I’m 19 and been skating for 9 years, been making decks for a year and a half just about. Recently gotten interested in making my very own electric skateboard. Keep it up tho, the last video seems like you were zooming. You got balls of steel my friend

1 Like

oh yeah fr my life was in peril on that single drive hobbyking drivetrain. The wheel pulley was held on with drywall screws btw.

After that I went with an actually good Haggy drivetrain and we know how that went…

1 Like

Damn. How did they not come off? Hoping now your builds are more solid

1 Like

They are pretty good now. I could really use a good printer like a voron or a CNC however.

1 Like

It’s cool in general to have a 3D printer, never had a experience with one but I bet it’s cool designing your own gearing, whatever size you want if you make changes and just printing it on the spot, Improving stuff as well with better material

1 Like