MPCNC DIY Build

Man seen your ability I strongly advice to go for the metal frame route. You might need to spend a bit more on the frame but believe me that you will thanks me later. It is all about rigidity. Or if you want to print the connection something like this one with linear rail is like another world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmgUAo4ZygI

2 Likes

I’m hooked. Haha, been watching YouTube vids all night. I think I need a big lowrider and a little one too :rofl:

Holy balls, that guy’s looks top notch.

yeh one of the best 3D printed CNC I have ever seen.

Or probably what everyone already saw his this guy that made a series of video on his own 3d printed CNC design. He made an instructables too, so easy to follow and depends on the purpose always remember that the smaller the machine the more rigid and precise will be (talking baout self made with he same material of course). Since with all the variance that come across long axis make it way more fragile.

4 Likes

If I ever build a CNC I would probably need a workable area of 200x200mm. Can I just build some mini one?

1 Like

yep the one above but too me get a 6040 with supported axis and you are good with that frame. Moreover we are talking about router here which is different that milling. If the purpose is mainly metal then what you want is a milling machine but then price increase of course. That’s why most of the DIY are router. Which are fine but most of the time limited in Z, since going high is not their purpose and also reduce the rigidity. A milling machine has a movable table (99% of the case) and fixed head. You can understand how that already makes the machine way more rigid.

3 Likes

Gotcha. I’ll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks.

1 Like

For you that are using the same design this guy made a modification for the Y axis with a dual belt clamping system. I think it’s really a cleaver idea to minimise the belt stretch that otherwise would be a thing for sure. Files in description.

https://stoneycnc.co.uk/mill-it-mini-images/

This looks like something I need. I think it is around £5000

That’s cute but if you want a compact desktop CNC you’ll need something like this

11 Likes

do i sleep inside that too?

2 Likes

Lmao I was just about to type, line the door up with your bedroom door and you sleep on top of it, bunk style. Night time vibrations will be glorious.

1 Like

man 5K for that thing is a just not right with 5K you can get way way way better…one month ago I posted at 1K second hand a Fmebco f1 that would jsut destroid that think. @Brenternet got the link but now I think is gone.

1 Like

Yup I know. But that should you give you an idea of what I want :slight_smile:

I’ve seen that and was planning on something similar.

My design skills are super low so I’m just following a tutorial at this point.

I plan on using this as a learning experience while I save up and buy the parts needed to make a more permanent CNC for my shop. I have ALOT of 8020 15 series extrusion just laying around that I will be using to make the next one. But since my knowledge and skill with CNC is at 0, I figured go with this one for now.

1 Like

what you are doing is great really! That’s why I point out that video, you only need to print a different piece for the Y axis and with the rest of the parts being the same you have a better machine.

1 Like

I have a Kress spindle too for my router which is good since the tool run out is decent but for same amount of money you can get a 2kw air cooled spindle from ebay, alibaba or Ali that is well made. A lot of people are using it. Again that is more for router application, milling mahcine spins at lower rpm so the milling strategy are different compare to router CNC. Anyhow you are in UK and second hands there are so many opportunities. I got a Optimum BF20L fully CNC converted with German brand kit ecc for 2.7K. That was a good deal but new will be closer to the price you posted and the difference is just day and night. We are still talking about a mini mill but the BF is a Chinese based model that is rebranded by Grizzly as g0704, Optimum BF20, Precise Matthew PM25 ecc… you can make nice stuff with it.

3 Likes

I really appreciate all the advice you’ve been giving too!

Currently outside of hobbies I’m studying for a certification that will hopefully get me a better paying job as well as doing some house hunting.

Once all that falls into place, I am going to jump on the opportunity to make a more permanent CNC for my shop which will be the 8020 stuff. I just hope the one I’m making will be good enough to handle wood, that’s all I really need it for right now.

If it can handle alu, then that’s a big bonus!!

1 Like

Good luck with the certification!

YEs wood will be fine, just do not think about time and production. Run it conservative and it will be fine.

1 Like

I’m pretty patient! I just want it done right, if it takes longer but it’s done well, I’m fine with that!

But once I get into more design stuff, I’m gonna want to get something stronger and stiffer to do aluminum!

1 Like