Motor cans keep coming loose WAHHH

honestly not planning to make them because is a pain in the ass from scratch like that and what price can you give it. I should make custom motor can to host magnets to speed up the process. In raw material I think I spent 250-300$ (not counting tools, cnc, lathe, screws ecc)… only in raw metal and stator. Then dedicate few moths to make it happens ahahaha.

Anyhow the output power is the same you can get from a 6384 motor. Stator is 53x52mm same of Maytech 6396 I think. For the short time I could tried them and not at the max amp allowed by my batteries I was not able to push them at the limit. Was a mix of I am gonna shit my pants and yuppiiiii :blush:

8 Likes

Are you applying the loctite to the screws or to the holes? Best to apply in the holes or little on both. The shaft does move slightly after a while of riding but not much

The laminations are usually either stamped (high production) or laser/plasma/waterjet cut (small scale) and then assembled into stators.

2 Likes

Is there any reason a bolt through shaft would be bad? If the current two bolt design connected. Then the rotational load is only limited by the shear strength of the bolt.
It’s not ideal, but could potentially be a minimal change to current production

There’s lots of options for adding to the back wall that severals have suggested. However, that quickly creates clearance issues for dual 6355 combos.
Back wall thickness of the can is pretty thin. I successfully drilled mine to m4 but the amount of material left around the hole is thin

2 Likes

@torqueboards

3 Likes

so no way I could make it in my workshop :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I was thinking about making a stator core just few hours ago actually. I was wondering how well a CNC router would work for cutting all the electrical steel.

After it is stacked it is welded right? There are other steps I’m sure.

I would be interested in doing this for a larger payoff than a esk8 motor like a massive 5kg+ one for a Ebike or go kart.

No welding, just stacked and glued. Welding would connect the laminations together electrically, which is undesirable - the whole point of laminations is to electrically isolate them to reduce eddy currents.

It might be possible to use a router, but it would be inefficient - You’d have to cut out each layer individually, and workholding is always a pain with thin (0.2-0.5mm) material. You might be able to sandwich a bunch between two thick aluminum or steel plates bolted together and machine them in one go, but then you’re getting out of the realm of router and into the realm of full blown mill.

4 Likes

I forgot that the core is meant to be isolated layers, definitely sounds much easier to glue thejm together than what I said.

The advantage with me is that it doesn’t matter the effort or time required to build something, only whether it is possible and would work. I plan on making a MPCNC that would have terrible rigidity and accuracy, but pretty good work area. If I can find a supplier for the electrical steel I might give it a shot when the CNC is working.

If you’re going to make a stator, may as well make it a PMSM core while you’re at it.

1 Like

Any idea what flipsky has under this 3bolt collar?

2 Likes