Motor braking parameters on maytech 200A vesc ONLY -15A?

Those seem like some arbitrary numbers that are there to void your warranty tbh. Motor braking amps can be the same or a bit lower than motor amps on pretty much any vesc based esc. Even the wizard inputs the same values.

As for battery regen… i use the max my pack can charge at x2. It can be higher quite safely. You’ll only ever use the max value at very high speed slamming on the brakes. And even that will be 10 sec tops.

Some play it really safe and barely go over the slow charging values but that’s just deadly when going fast.

If those values stated by them were true, i’d have to use 4wd 63100 with a 10p pack and i’d still get in shitty situations fast

2 Likes

I thought it was very stange but as I damaged this vesc in under 2 weeks of use I am really doubting the quality…

Please dont listen to what that maytech link says.
What s count does you pack have, 10 or 12?

3 Likes

10S

1 Like

Not a lot of people have used this vesc either i think so not a lot of testers out there to ask

Read this on how to configure your vesc settings.

Regen is usually motor amps -10 to be safe, and battery regen amps can be 2x fast charge rate for cells divided by the number of vescs since you dont charge for long periods at a time.

2 Likes

Also, point 2.6 (on maytech link) is utter bullshit.
They either have no idea what they’re saying or oversimplified until they lost the entire point.

If a motor can brake at -100 amps but vesc is programmed to do -60 amps motor and -20 amps regen, the vesc will brake at 20 amps at full speed, -40 amps at half speed (assuming motor specs and the fact that the battery regen settings is the bottleneck) and full 60 amps at lower speeds.
At no point does the vesc pass the -20 amps battery regen set value, or the -60 amps motor brake value.

If there is a bottleneck (almost always battery), the esc will throttle it’s capability to be under that programmed value.

The heat they’re talking about is only losses. It’s the same heat generated when accelerating, only now when braking it’s really inefficient.

2 Likes

This is the first time I’ve seen someone use that vesc on this forum.

1 Like

So parameter should I use for a 10s4p samsung 30Q and a 80 A motor on a single motor build?

1 Like

-70 Motor.
-32 Battery should be fine.

I Personally would rather sacrifice cell life over braking performance / safety. But you could also go with -24 for instance.

I run -70 -24 per esc on a dual system and a 12s6p 30q pack and 80a motors.

2 Likes

70 A motor
~45 motor brake (i try to keep in mind that a single wheel will slip if abused. Try and adjust yourself)
70A battery (30q is UP TO 20A/cell capable. With 70A/70A motor/battery you will only ever draw the full current at top speed full throttle while still accelerating. I dare you do that lol)
-32 battery regen

One advantage of having same value for motor and battery is you will have linearity in throttle. You will feel it when you push that throttle at any speed.

1 Like

Thanks a lot guys. I will try and hopefully I wont be damaged.

1 Like

Like @Athrx says there is a change of the belt slipping or motor losing traction at higher brake currents. But its a better feeling knowing you have more braking power available than you need, when you need it instead of underpowered brakes. Since esk8’s don’t have ABS it’s a case of getting to know your board and not mashing on the brake but easing into it and releasing it slightly when it locks up.

2 Likes

You miiight want to start lower on those acceleration numbers and increase as needed. 70A single drive will do burnouts if you’re not ready lol

Remember to put some decent ramp up/down times on the input if you feel it’s too jittery when grabbing the throttle or releasing

2 Likes

Also, look into replacing that ESC. My numbers are only relevant with an ESC that is built to actually handle those numbers. Otherwise start conservatively with motor and battery amps and work your way up until you get drv errors (and then back down a little) but not broken hardware.

1 Like

Haha I will. Yes, brakes are very important and I live in Norway so the hills here are rough.

I may haha, I am running a 15/36 with a 192 kv motor and O WOW is it quick. 50kp/h+

My dude, if you live in Norway please consider investing in a dual drive setup. I live in the flattest country in the world, aka The Netherlands and still find the brakes on single drive unbearable.

1 Like

Depending on the wheel, you may never actually reach that speed while actually riding it (12s4p pneumatics here. Geared for 55km/hr and it’s a task getting to 50… with 3kw power running through as well)

1 Like

I only weigh 70kg and have 110mm wheels and i have done 50+.
I am tempted but as i use paris trucks and a homemade motor mount it would be a bit more difficult or lot more money has to be spent