MISC part question (mounting male-female hex spacer)

I’m not sure if this is in the right section or if anyone will be able to help me. But a few months ago I started the journey to build a new project skateboard. I wanted to use m4 male-female spacer standoffs. I have them currently in my possession, the issue is I came across a way to mount them a bit ago and I cannot for the life of me seem to find the other part I need. I am looking for something similar to a “hollow screw” in which it undermounts onto a board and serves as the anchor point for another thread to go into it an interlock (so no screwheads are visible from the top of the board). It has threads on the outside of it so It can go into the holes that you drill into the bottom of the board, but they don’t go all the way through then you put the male end of the spacer standoff piece in there and thread it in to secure the enclosure. If anyone knows what this piece is called, please let me know!

Edit: It is similar to a grub screw, but instead of the index for a hex wrench in the middle, it is hollow with threads on the inside.

I can’t tell for sure but it might be how they mounted the prototipo enclosure? I don’t see any screwheads on top so I think it is. If that helps anyone

Do you mean a threaded inserts, helicoil, or something else!

I think, I looked up threaded insert and it appears to have threads on both sides which is good. Any idea which one I need for a m4 screw. I didn’t see any that used that classification

I recant that statement, I believe I found some that will work! Thanks @ZachTetra

1 Like

The brass ones are easy to destroy, handle with care.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Knife-Threaded-Insert-Hard/dp/B07V2P6CS5/ref=sr_1_9

Any other materials that aren’t so easy to screw up? Or are they all similar?

I prefer steel inserts. As Brian linked.
I use the trampa ones as they are marine grade steel :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Have a link to someplace that sells them in the m4 size?

1 Like

Edit: thanks, I will look into them

2 Likes