MBS trucks on non-mtb deck. What do I need to know?

i dont know if this is a down side, but once its all done we’re taking a 40" deck and making the overall length now like 50"+

1 Like

haha as I was typing…

1 Like

Maybe shoot for a bit higher wedge angle (35 vs 30) to accommodate for the bit of turning you’ll probably lose?

Just guessing at this point

it crossed my mind to just go with 40degree in general but hmm

So I got bored AF with this corona… And since my buddy is hiding out as well him making me.my new risers is on hold… So for fun I finished the board as best I could… Threw a 3/4" spacer on the screw to push the wedge further and took is for a test ride.

Were about 30degrees now, carved ok down the streets still could be more responsive, obviously, and turning a corner at low speeds is shit lol…a right hand turn at a crawl is impossible so much lean not enough turn.

Now the length of the board overall is hella long. I’m only 5’6" and if/when I gwt those other risers that would put the trucks at the tip of each end will increase over all length… And we’re also weighing in at 37lbs currently… I think we’ll be at 40lb with the new risers and added material and I’m wondering is this still the path I want.to go down?

Or just slap some regular trucks back on with 8" tires and then put these trucks on a proper mtn board with battery TBD as far as top pr bottom mount…

3 Likes

Does changing the center of gravity on the deck, (deck height from the ground) change turning geometry? Or only angle of the riser changes this?

Doesn’t change the geometry, but it does change things.

Same turning radius, but the added height will make the resistance feel a lot weeker and so the trucks will act a lot looser.

The roll axis of channel trucks is somewhere between the axle and the pivot, it changes a bit with the angle. The roll axis is like the tight-rope you’re balancing on.

So putting it up on risers your deck is going to be WAY higher.

If you’re standing way up there, and the roll axis is way down there, you can imagine how much harder it will be to be stabilized.

The way MBS trucks are normally set up on an MBS deck, your feet are probably around 1/2"-1" above the roll axis. Which is a pretty typical height, like a normal topmount without risers.

This example looks like its approaching 3" of height above the roll axis.
Its doable, its a bit extreme, but probably the biggest limitation is that the MBS trucks aren’t going to be designed to provide the amount of resistance a setup like that will really want.

My approach would be to try and drop through like Accrobrandon did in the post above

, or else try to go with a bit of a bracket design.

I guess the other thing I forgot is that any of the options all tend to increase the wheel base a bit, and that does take away from your turning slightly.

2 Likes

I couldn’t handle not riding this basically complete board due to the risers so I pulled everything off my other board for this.

Super buttery like a light powder day on the mtn. Might try tightening up the rear as i wasnt feeling confident enough at higher speed…

Good news is if I ever flip the board the deck wont get scraped lol

I may just have to buy a proper mtn board for a build as I dont know if i can handle lugging around a 5ft board that is also heavy as hell… One or the other but not both

4 Likes

Jump on one of EBS’s new mtb + enclosures when he drops them (hopefully next month).

2 Likes

What trucks are these?
Wheel bite with this setup?

@RyEnd link??

@dani just some standard TB trucks, just enough space with 8" if you have a hard lean slow around a corner then maybe, def need to kinda sort be careful how much the rear foot hangs “ten” as the rear wheels hit my shoe once but u get used to you foot spacing and movements as you ride

1 Like

a foot touching a rear wheel is an “OH FUKK!!” moment!
a foot touching a front wheel is street face…

1 Like

Wider than their current deck w/ an enclosure twice as deep (12S10P 18650) and made of sturdier material.

5 Likes

and EBS… elec. board solutions?? is that right?

i think a 5-6p is good, only reason i need more is next time I visit Vail I wanna ride summit pass to copper mtn or frisco, sounds super dope!

1 Like

I was just at copper mountain a few weeks ago. Snowboarding and took the kids tubing. Nice place except everything was closed

RIP 19/20 ski season.

2 Likes

glad i didnt get a pass this year but wouldnt have made it anyways… got some sick eskate footage from last summer in vail that Im finally about to get to… mtn riding up there is so fucking holistic for me…as is snowboarding…

back to EBS @RyEnd was i right there with the acronym?

1 Like

Yeah.

look again and you will see that in my riser there is offset making the CG point even higher then “Accrobrandon” solution.
also, the ears in his trucks or the M5 screws can fail.

@Guy

Any chance at another batch of risers?

1 Like