maker-x GO-FOC DV6 VS spintend Ubox

Hi guys, what the title says, I am planning a new build with either the maker-x or Ubox, they are basically the same price so which one is better?

i am going to be running 12s sensored foc on a 4wd build so 2 VESC based ESCs, the major difference from what i can see is the 75v on the Ubox compered to the normal 60v on the maker-x, as im only running 12s both will be fine however i can see it being useful in the future for higher voltage builds.

the other major difference seems to be the Uboxes integrated 12v outputs for a light/lights and horn (why tf is there a horn), i also think the Ubox has ble but i will be getting a Metr so wont make a difference.

anyway in conclusion what seems to be the general census towards Theas two VESC based ESCs, thanks in advance, Tank

edit 2; removed the word “VESC” replaced with “VESC based”
edit 3: fixed horn bit

edit, think i put this in the wrong place: moved to How-Tos & Esk8 mechanics? still think this may be worng?

1 Like

None of those are VESCs

IMHO 75V is better than 60V and probably more reliable but I haven’t used either of those ESCs, so I don’t know.

2 Likes

The go-foc dv6 is built around 60V, so it will be slightly (if even noticeable) more efficient at 12s than the ubox would. It’s also smaller, which means more room for cables / battery.

However, the spintend has an integrated antispark. How reliable it is waits to be seen, but I have my personal doubts about it. Maker-X have been around for longer as well, for what it’s worth.

But yeah, neither ESC has been thoroughly tested / proven to be reliable yet, so can’t go right or wrong with either one I’d say :stuck_out_tongue: I’m just glad you’re not buying a Unity lol

2 Likes

hmm, what makes you say that?

Typically higher voltage rated mosfets have higher resistance. I could be wrong though, maybe they went with expensive ones that are better all around :man_shrugging:

this is the fet on the ubox, know which one the MakerX has?

2 Likes

It’s just a switched 12V output, or permanent 12V output depending how you wire it up. You don’t need to install a horn on the horn labeled output thou :wink:

1 Like

I’m planning to wire brake lights and small horn to horn :yum:

1 Like

The option is there, so why not :man_shrugging::joy:
Also it reads like OP thinks the horn is included/integrated which is not the case, just in case.

fixed, yea i know its just a 12v out put just seems unnecessary, like who uses a horn?

Looks like some do :grin:

1 Like

i think i will go with the Ubox then, i am planning to order later tonight to tomorrow so anymore input appreciated! from what ive read there is nothing fundamentally wrong with either and since the Ubox is way more feature packed i think it makes sense to go with it. thanks again Tank

2 Likes

thanks ordered the Ubox, now all i have left to order is the motors, i am thinking aps 6384 v2 but people say the quality is garbage, i could go with maytech from nexus (i live in the uk) but they are a bit pricy another alternative is the fs 6374 battel hardened but flip sky…

I would say so so. Sure they are not top of the top, but with a bit battle hardening they should be just fine for the money they do cost.
They usually also have a good customer service. If something broke and it’s not your fault they will replace it. As minimum it was always the case for me.