Loctites: Differences And Their Uses

So 290 is like water?
Can it still be used when disassembled or is it meant to be used to an already assembles bolt?
So 290 is used as a more ‘‘permanent’’ solution than 243/2?
Can you give examples on where you would use different loctites on your board to help me understand better each of their application?
Sorry for the dumb questions! :crossed_fingers:

290 is very thin, yes. It can be used before assembly but it really shines for after-assembly locking.

290 is a little stronger than 242/3, under ideal conditions. You’d have to check both datasheets for the exact strength characteristics of each compound on the specific materials you’re using them on - That’s another thing: the strength of the bond is very dependent on the materials. Depending on the compound, aluminum or bronze surfaces can give as much as a 75% reduction in strength vs. bare steel.

Basically 242/3 or 290 are removable and can be used interchangeably. If you have a mission-critical fastener that you want to absolutely NEVER come undone (Unles you want it to, @b264 you smartass) you can use a red (high strength) threadlocker like 262 or 271.

648 is not designed for threads at all, it’s designed for holding (for example) a shaft into a bore. Or a bearing into a housing. Same with 641, but it’s a lot less permanent.

2 Likes

:arrow_down:

FTFY :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

680 will give you permanency but with the ability to remove should you need to. Epoxy in any form is more or less there forever so I would not recommend using it in any application that you may want to undo in the future.

2 Likes

He said “permanent” LoL.

Used that word. Like “affixed until the sun explodes”

Like when a motor mount moved 17 times and it’s either “Stay put, or get shitcanned”

4 Likes

3 Likes

The thing with 290 is it’s very difficult to get LESS than a drop from the container, and a drop is so ridiculously too much that most of it gets wasted. But I do like 290 and it’s water-thin. Like @MysticalDork said, you can apply it at assembly time and it’s very strong. But you can also apply it after assembly and it wicks in.

Thank you @MysticalDork @b264
And if you want something stronger than 243/2-290 but not permanent like 262-271,
something that can be removed with heat,
What does the job?

1 Like

Those are really your choices :man_shrugging: If you want more strength, then you end up with red. If you want less, you end up with blue or 290. 290 is probably about the strongest that I wouldn’t consider “permanent” in that you generally don’t need heat or a hammer to remove it.

3 Likes

If you have a motor shaft that is completely covered in Loctite 290 with a pulley stuck on it, I have had to heat them up before they would come off, even with a pulley puller. Ironically, the temperature they start letting go at is right around 290 degrees F, I don’t know if that’s coincidence or not. Once you go above that, they will start to be able to be slid off.

5 Likes

not sure if you can clearly read this but it’s a pretty bloody good run down of loctite-s

2 Likes

N don’t forget to shake the container n clean surfaces n wait 24 hours.
Some u can heat to speed cure

2 Likes

You’ll never figure it out! Lol I’ve spent hours and hours reviewing datasheets and charts. There are several generations of product, and families of products sold to military, industrial, consumer. Lots of very similar but not quite the same products. Plus, china clone threadlockers sometimes use similar formula names but with different properties. It’s sheer madness!

I have on my bench:
222MS
249 (like plumber’s tape)
248 (like chapstick)
vibratite VC-3
hobbyking 242
hobbyking TL-262
hobbyking TL-609
hobbyking TL-271

and I feel like I’m missing a bunch.

I think maybe a good basic set is 243 medium/blue, 263 strong/red, some kind of green wicking/high-temp, a low and high viscosity retaining compound. 243/263 are newer formulations of 242/262, with more oil resistance and nicer properties all around. 243,263 seem to be the standard blue,red recommended to consumers for almost all uses. The 249 is really nice for the road tool bag–no waiting for it to cure.

And wtf is this?

Another hole I dove into was shelf life. loctite does designate shelf life but I think for the sake of having specs for industrial/gov’t. Seems real shelf life is indefinite.

Yet another hole is how to clean the screw/hole for reapplication. Methods offered were chemical stripping, physical abrasion, burning it off. But the experienced guys mostly just apply fresh loctite, which seems to dissolve the old stuff.

Vibratite VC-3 is cool because it’s supposed to be adjustable and reusable for a few cycles. The permatex gel ones look neat to try.

Most of them, you can use a matching primer to speed the cure.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the same bottle of 262 that i got from Enertion when i ordered the 6S complete build kit from them in late 2014. I’m just now starting to run out of it, and it’s showing no signs of degrading.

3 Likes

I think we’re safe buying shampoo bottle size loctite. :slight_smile:

I found the PDF of the chart. I think i might print it out and keep a copy on my tool drawers.

9 Likes

Its amazing, thanking you greatly

1 Like

madness. For example, this chart looks pretty good, but retaining compounds list:

Go to their website and it lists:

fwiw I think 648 is the best one for motor pulleys…

1 Like

For future questions about this topic, please refer to here

Much better thread, well done @sleepless :ok_hand:

@xsynatic is it possible to close this? As to keep one thread on this subject. This was one of my stupid question threads instead of using the noob question thread at the time :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Of course :slight_smile: