iLogger - Updates / Support / Dev [Serious]

CAN.

CAN now requires baud rate to be set to 50k instead of 500k, have you tried changing that yet?

Any other CAN settings need to be adjusted?

Changing the baud rate lets it read the firmware version but it does not appear to read anything else.Canconf

Which Vesc are you using and what FW? Also is it a single or dual setup?
Was it working before the update?

Dual cheap focer 2’s FW 5.1

Just getting it fully setup today so I have not previously had it displaying data.

Do you know if they are still using custom firmware on it or is it running the official vesc fw?

Apparently. Should only be related to the drive portion of the controller. Might be worth messaging @shaman if you think that could be causing problems.

Any way to see what the ilogger is seeing over CAN to tell if that is the issue?

Thats a good question, I have that planned for the next version to be able to log and view debug information including CAN messages. I’m going to look over the Github source code and get back to you.

Also it is worth noting that the reason I reduced baud rate to 50k is that the Vesc seems to be having trouble sending over all the requested CAN messages.

What I noticed is that when I request a COMM_GET_VALUES message from the vesc, it should reply with a series of CAN_PACKET_FILL_RX_BUFFER messages that contains the telemetry data, it is divided into multiple messages because it can’t fit into one. Then once all of them are received, there is a final command CAN_PACKET_PROCESS_RX_BUFFER that instructs the iLogger to process the filled buffer.

The issue I’m currently noticing with the Vesc FW is that it does not reliably send those messages and sometimes it is cut short, causing the telemetry data to be truncated.

I have seen other people from other forums reporting the same issue when they were trying to interface the Vesc CAN for other projects.

If someone working with CAN is experiencing the same behavior please let me know, we can probably open an issue and forward it to vedder to check it out.

My current assumption is that the vesc needs some kind of small delay when transmitting consecutive commands like here https://github.com/vedderb/bldc/blob/master/comm_can.c#L330

Rearranged things to give UART a try.

Same behaviour can read the firmware version but nothing when I go to real-time data.

Just to make sure that things are set correctly:
Change port to UART from the settings page.
Make sure that you have swapped RX and TX on the cable (vesc 6 variants have it swapped).
Set UART baud rate to 115200.

For some reason I -still- can’t see the telemetry page. I’ve forgotten the device and repaired it with the code. Have my baudrate for can on 50k and also status message 1. On the settings page it reads that everything is correct but it isn’t so I am confused.

I’ll open enclosure later today and check everything.

Does it show the vesc version on the settings page?

5.1, that is correct.

1 Like

If I understand correctly, after you connect and go to the telemetry page you see the no ilogger detected message?

Yeah, just realized that getting some screenshots would’ve been a good idea. I’ve attached some. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the screenshots, I think I found the bug that might be causing it, and will be fixing it in the next update. Meanwhile, can you close the app, turn off/on bluetooth then try again?

Just tried that and no luck. Is it possible that my other Bluetooth devices are causing some sort of error? Maybe my GPS module is causing them? It still doesn’t want to connect to any satellites.

Just checked with my android tablet and it seems to be okay on that, still no GPS connection. I’ll start shopping for another module.

Could be a Unity specific issue maybe?

I think this issue is caused by an unnecessary check I had on the telemetry page that checks if the Bluetooth adapter on the phone is on or off. For some reason, it does not always return accurate results so I removed it.

I pushed a TestFlight update.

Regarding the GPS module, does the PPS led blink? PPS led is what tells you if the GPS module was able to lock on satellites or not.

So I was able to confirm with the developer of the Cheap Focer 2 that there were no changes in the firmware that would effect CAN or UART communications.

It seems really strange to me that the iLogger can read the firmware version but doesn’t seem to read anything else.

1 Like