I'd like to sell you all on Schaeffer 274 Grease for Eskate

I use Aeroshell 22 for gears. Mobil is very similar.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but I know that with frictional heat oil based lubricants can separate and the oil runs out, just leaving the other part behind which is thick and gloopy.

1 Like

yes it is now shut up and enjoy you miserable british weather

3 Likes

Jokes on you BUD

4 Likes

don’t get it but don’ want to kill the joke :man_shrugging:

(It’s worse where I am)

1 Like

Well, at least last 2 days have been quite dry

1 Like

I just went through a bunch of information on ceramics and…

I really think I have to recommend against them for probably most applications.
Turns out that the ceramic balls are so hard, they just degrade the steel raceways. So while they start out with lower rolling resistance and higher precision and all that ( if they’re high quality ), they very quickly develop a higher rolling resistance because of all the wear they cause to the races.

Add to that their cost.

And consider their greater likelihood of catastrophic failure with a cracked ball.

I think it would be in everyone’s best interest to just write off ceramic bearings.

3 Likes

True. There are fully ceramic bearings that do not suffer what you describe but are even more prone to catastrophic failure.
I use Archoil 8300 severe duty grease but any thick grease will do for esk8 bearings as long as it is replaced at proper intervals.
This 274 looks like a very good solution and is much cheaper than the Archoil that has left me with a hole in my wallet and psychological trauma…

1 Like

When I got my tube of 274, it was like a $6 add on item.

Cheaper than speed cream. Haven’t seen it quite so cheap since.
Tends to bounce around between $9-$14 from what I’ve noticed.

1 Like

I use zealous, with stock grease i get around 40 miles before they start screaming generally… If i lube with Speedcream then stick in some Super Lube ptfe… I generally get up to around 300 miles of life per setRecleaning around a buck fifty)… not sure how grease&ptfe ect play/works but best working solution for me thus far… the only response from one of my friends this morning “The bearing destroyer”

1 Like

I run Archoil in my kaly gears and it came straight from ernesto with this grease… about 2k miles and zero issues… it’s spendy… I almost thing a synthetic “personal lube” non-water-based would work acceptably… but I have about enuff from one buy for the lifetime of the board

Thats a pretty wild mix.

Zealous bearings use probably a synthetic oil base with a fumed silica thickener.

Speed cream is probably a non-synthetic oil base with no thickener.

And SuperLube PTFE might be silicone based.

Super lube’s non-silicone greases though also also synthetic oil base with fumed silica thickener, like the Superlube EP. And that would be fully compatible with the remnants of zealous grease.

My take would be to cut out the speed cream, and use a compatible superlube product. Make sure you’re not using silicone.

3 Likes

An update on this.
I tested a number of different lubricants over 100 miles and found some very good results.

A higher tack grease such as Shaeffer 238 might be an even better choice for Eskate.

4 Likes

Gotta fully disagree here. however road quiality palys a role i live in mostly perfect smooth roads with some cobblestone here and there running 90mm wheels on full ceramic/and hybirds on hubs.

So far 1550km on ceramics and broke 1 ball on the front which was a fun event at 45kph basiclly i just felt some extreme drag on one of my fronts after letting go of the throttle but continued on my route and replaced the bearing in question and replaced the broken ball.

I’ll admit finding good Bearings that are 608/ TI/Ceramic is not easy - especially for Hub motors, and low ball count (aka larger balls vs more smaller balls)

So for fronts i swear by 6 ball steel/ 6 ball ceramic

6 ball steel preforms close to 7 ball ceramics and 6 ball ceramics is just amazing.