IBM develops new battery tech

Any of the new cell chemistries currently being developed will take years until they go to production. No point in waiting, except there is a new cool liion cell on the horizon.

I have been watching new “break through” battery technologies over the last decade. I have stopped caring since nothing has actually come to fruition. I feel we have atleast a decade before we get something substantial better then lithium batteries. I want cheap energy dense cells that last 10,000+ cycles more then anything. I want to go fully off grid soon and battery tech isn’t where I want it.

1 Like

Gotta get you some of that unobtanium

Exactly.

Shame that they shelved it

1 Like

We’ve got a Dyson engineer among us here. Smart chap, stronk skateboard.

4 Likes
1 Like

They want to power fitness trackers next, then smartphones, and maybe finally houses by integrating the technology into wall paint :smile:

Graphite battery hitting early market.

2 Likes

Real Graphene is producing a power bank right now that charges faster, holds more charge and discharges more energy faster. Looks like some kind of lithium graphene hybrid battery.

All they need to do is make the battery in a common form factor like an 18650 and we might be able to use them.

1 Like

Another type of solid state battery that I wasn’t aware of until now: Glass. Developed by John Goodenough, the man who basically invented the lithium ion battery.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/energywise/energy/batteries-storage/john-goodenough-glass-battery-news-hydroquebec

1 Like

that guy just never thinks things are good enough and just has to keep trying to reinvent the world.

5 Likes

Battery hype!

3 Likes

Nice animations and diagrams here :

2 Likes

Wait, so if the forming of dendrites are responsible for the degradation and eventual death of a battery Li-ion pack, and a solid state design eliminates them from being formed, wouldn’t that get you tens of thousands of cycles at least? Not this 1000 cycles they talk about? Or does lithium just naturally degrade quickly…?
I am confusion, cool stuffs on the new tech tho, good vid

That’s what Tesla’s Million Mile battery is supposed to do… last a million miles with no dendrite formation.

1 Like

Pog for papa elon

1 Like

Some more awesome battery research news with actual real world test results: https://youtu.be/cktz2Al5TF8

1 Like

Whoa this is pretty outstanding news!

1 Like