I need help. Tried to update firmware on Dual FocBoxs. Now nothing works.

If this is a FOCBOX 1.6 or 1.7 and you attempt to spin the motor using this firmware, you can permanently damage the hardware. Don’t turn the motor on until this is fixed.

2 Likes

Factory settings are just defaults and won’t make your motors work. But they are a step in the right direction. You’ll still need to do motor detections and set stuff up. Don’t leave the default battery current numbers at 99A. I’m not familiar with the battery or motors in that skate, so maybe someone else can chime in with help on the settings.

This can probably be fixed after you get the other one going, using CANBUS between the two. Or, if that doesn’t work, using an ST-Link tool. Unless it’s broken.

Before you fix this, you need to decide what version of firmware you want to use. I would recommend 5.2 because it’s known to be solid and it doesn’t sound like you need any feature from a newer version.

Not updating the firmware just because it tells you to is GREAT ADVICE.

Obviously, I wish I would have known that before I messed things up this bad.

That is one mistake I hope I never make again.

1 Like

First, thank you so much for your help!!! It is a great feeling that you are helping me.

After I tried to update the firmware using the “Unity” Hardware and Firmware 6.02, it would not let me spin the motors via the Motor Wizard… So hopefully, there is no permanent damage (keeping fingers crossed).

How do I tell the difference between a FocBox 1.6 and a FocBox 1.7? And is there a big difference between the two FocBox Versions?

At this point, I would be very happy to use Firmware Version 5.02 (or any other version that works).

The question is: How do I get the one FocBox that I can still connect to going again?

When I go to the Firmware Update Page on the VESC Tool, it ready the Hardware as “Unity” and it only gives me one option to update the Firmware. There is no Version 5.02 option.

Is one of my problems that I now how “Unity” Firmware on a FocBox 410 & 411 & 412? Is tthat why nothing is working?

If so, how do I get the VESC Tool to recognize this is 410 & 411 & 412 Hardware and give me the option to upload the correct Firmware?

If your VESC is not recognized by VESC Tool over USB, you need to recover it with ST-Link

3 Likes

AKA you need to use the working VESC to flash the other VESC

1 Like

I would love to use the working VESC to flash the other VESC. How do I do this? (I want to make sure I know exactly what I am doing before I make things even worse than they are).

Also, how do I get the working VESC (the one that still connects to USB) to work again? How do I get the correct Firmware downloaded to the working VESC when the VESC Tool still recognizes it as a “Unity”?

The master himself has made a video on this

1 Like

Thank you for the link. I’m hoping I can use the VESC that still connects to USB to “flash” the one that doesn’t work without having to purchase a ST-LINK. But I am not ruling-out any possible solutions.

1 Like

Manually download the correct FW and then manually flash it.

EDIT I think all the FWS might be included in the VESC tool so no need to go looking online for the right fw.

Been some time since I flashed a VESC tbh

Thank you for your help on this!!

What do I do first?

I’m assuming I get the working VESC’s Firmware updated first. Correct?

If so, how do I manually download the correct FW and manually flash it to the working VESC? (The reason why I am asking is because: The VESC that won’t connect now, used to connect before I tried to manually download the correct FW and flash it. So I think I did it wrong (obviously). That is why the VESC no longer connects). What I did was: I tried just flashing the correct 410 & 411 & 412 Bootloader to the VESC that used to work. Now it doesn’t connect.

As such, I want to make sure I manually download and flash the correct thing this time (because I only have 1 VESC left that will still connect and I don’t want to break that one too).

Ok I’m opening up VES tool
Gimme a sec

1 Like

Yep!! All of the previous VESC Versions are in the “Archive” Tab on the current VESC Tool.

I can see the HW 410 & 411 & 412 and FW 5.02 (This is the one that I want - correct?)

If so, the problem is: One I connect my working VESC to the VESC Tool, the Archive VESC Tab only gives me 1 option for the “Unity” HW. All of the other options disappear. So I cannot just choose “HW 410 & 411 & 412 FW 5.02” and upload it to the VESC.

Thank you soooo much for your help!!!

Can you choose something else than unity when you click this

1 Like

Yes, that should work, I just have ST-Link, which I also recommend you to get, those clones are cheap. But in the meantime try using your other VESC instead.

You can manually download the file from here: https://github.com/vedderb/vesc_fw_archive/blob/main/5.02/410_o_411_o_412/VESC_default.bin

2 Likes

Thanks for the link @rpasichnyk

2 Likes

Thank you for your help! I will try these fixes and I will get back to you asap!

1 Like