Hub Motor / Direct Drive Axle Stress Safety Discussion

Mr @professor_shartsis was waiting for this post.

2 Likes

If you ask Jason he’d probably blame the rider for being too fat.

2 Likes

At least he didn’t call them Direct drives

2 Likes

4 Likes

The rider weighs 175 and it’s a close friend of mine. This is his board a very early batch preorder of the raptor 2. I had been chatting with torqueboards back and forth saying this one must have been one of the good ones. Then we were probably 3-4 miles into a long cruise doing 8mph as far as the gps data says on level ground. The wheel just kind fell off taking the charge port cover on his new shredlights with it.

2 Likes

But I mean look at the construction. This design relies upon a few mm of overlap from the truck to the motor and a single what looks to be 10mm bolt holding it together. I wouldn’t trust that to hold anyone for say sidewalk stripes or a drop off a sidewalk. If I had known this was how it was assembled I wouldn’t have recommended my friend to buy it. I’m not trying to hate on enertion here but that’s a poor design.

4 Likes

That makes one of us. Lol

Sorry dude thats shitty.

I’m honestly surprised we haven’t seen more of this.

3 Likes

4 Likes

It’s all better than new now. The DD kit has support for the full length of the hanger and the axles bolts are far more sturdy. Should hold up quite well.

7 Likes

This can work.
The problem is it requires substantial pretension on the bolt, which looks like it didn’t have.

Glad your friend is ok.

Ohh I know Dani, however it would have taken a pretty tough piece of hardware and torque yield bolts to hold that in maximum tension. Then you have to factor in the thermal expansion which isn’t much but it will add up when you have a constantly rotating mass thats constantly vibrating from road debris your going to get more than just vertical force in shear. The aluminum will eventually deform and loose tension and now your riding just on that bolt. It’s a poor design.

1 Like

5 Likes

Another one bites the dust…

7 Likes

Is it possible to read that without hearing the beat?

Possibly saying it twice

6 Likes

no wayy, that looks like the original v1 elofty drives?
@janpom

hey man notice any difference in free roll with the torq DD system vs the enertion system

I’ve ridden both and the dd is an easier coast. Maybe partially due to the bigger wheels

This is my old Landwheel L3X. the tip of my axle snapped and the loose part ended up completely ruining my cables and the motor needed replacing. Lucky my wheel did not fall off, it had a front mounted bolt that held it in place somewhat. A month after repairing, I blew the ESC from using a faulty battery…

Moral of the story, don’t be me, don’t do what I do. Take care of your equipment.

4 Likes

hey can someone help my raptor 2.05 keeps thermal throttling

set it to 120c stop and 95 start and still no good

Put amps to 5A per motor, should do it :+1:

4 Likes