Hoyt puck alternatives ?

There are 3D printable designs for free available. To mod the remote isn’t big deal either. Definitely a great remote. Maybe not my first choice if I would ride mainly in crowded city areas.

2 Likes

Yes it’s a modded shell. Some guys like the full size one tho

4 Likes

This is an interesting point - I had been thinking next time I do a housing update I could remove the R button completely since it’s dangerous and I never use it, but you need it to link the remote to the receiver.

@hoytskate I’m pretty sure you have USB-based remote configuration ability, can you give us a utility that would allow us to remove the R button’s Reverse functionality and only use it as in pairing?

2 Likes

Nah they can’t configure that stuff. Any firmware changes have to be done thru the manufacturer.

2 Likes

Epoxy a stick of ferrocerium to your remote, best slider ever :smile:

2 Likes

Guy wasn’t using it for sliding I think he just fucked up his puck from a bad crash before, I just don’t understand how the “cheap” remote with my loaded ride unlimited has taken so much abuse and exploded into pieces but still works fine. But the Hoyt seems to just have that one weak point held by solder joints.
As far as sliding I don’t think it’s ever really caused me an issue only falling on it has, sliding ur not falling on it if u are doing it right

TBH I think there’s potential to make a shell to attach to a slide puck

1 Like

Raith electric skateboards have a pretty cool idea of putting the electronics on top, imo having your hands with slide pucks to fall on with knee pads is the best way to fall

4 Likes

Nope I am the one using it as a slide puck he was not, I’ve been using mine as a slide puck for 2 years and only had to send it in once after falling on the remote in a crash

1 Like

Yeah I think there is some confusion, I’m the one using it as a slide puck not my friend. But after seeing what happened to him it makes me worried. Like if that happened at a red light with cars instead of a closed off track

1 Like

Thank you for actually answering my question <3, used it as a slide puck for two years with hot glue and extra solder on those joints personally and the only time I had to send it in to get fixed was when I fell and the throttle nub took the impact, so maybe covering that part with the puck could help

I’ll have to check this out

This boi has been thrashed like crazy, dropped / fallen on / slid like crazy / broke open and all pieces went everywhere and I put them back together and still works fine.

So I’m just looking for something of similar durability

The maytech v2 is potted haha

1 Like

Has anyone tried a GT2B in Manhattan? I don’t have one anymore to try it.

@Evwan, do you know?

1 Like

Yes, dont.

I can confirm these to be safe
Puck
vx4
vx1 pro
wavrx iremote
osrr

1 Like

Just cast the Puck in some epoxy except the buttons, thumb wheel, and battery

2 Likes

It’s very likely he has the puck in reverse mode. It’s easy to do if you’re squeezing it across the buttons.

Are you able to hold R on it to switch it back to normal operation?

Posting an unrelated pic of your own puck without additional context will do that.

4 Likes

The puck was not in reverse mode. It had documented (after the fact) a bad pot / connection at the solder points, and was outputting full throttle commands randomly. His crash was caused by the remote failure. It applied full throttle while he was braking coming into a corner on the track. Mid way through the braking zone it just switched to full throttle accel for a brief moment.

2 Likes

Sounds like a bad crash prior caused the remote failure which caused a bad crash after.
Extreme caution should be taken with any remote after a good stack

1 Like