How to to join cells together?

Hello
I am building a 12s8p pack am after a cheap way of joining cells together has anyone got any pics of how they do it
Thanks

2 Likes

I tend to solder and spotweld hope this helps

1 Like

Just have a nice scroll through this thread it’s a pretty short read

but actually

6 Likes

don’t forget silicone

NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

5 Likes

Use your tongue as a bridge

6 Likes

@jonisingt35r despite what you might come across in some places on thw internet, NEVER EVER SOLDER CELLS TOGETHER. This is extremely dangerous, as well as terrible for the cells, degrading their capacity and cycle life. You will ruin your battery before its even finished, and potentially cause a fire if things go bad enough.

The best way for us hobbyists to make batteries is spot welding. The cheapest spot welder I can recommend is the Malectrics spot welder. Let me know if you have any questions.

7 Likes

Didn’t someone blow up two p-groups like last week doing this?
edit found it:

3 Likes

Hey, I did that!
Here’s the thing. I soldered my batteries and got them way hotter than they should have. In this particular P group, I was having a hard time getting the solder to take in something more than a cold weld. I overdid it and paid the price. The cells got extremely hot and vented and there was nothing I could do to save them.

How to avoid this:
  1. Don’t solder your cells. This isn’t always possible due to cost, but if that is a concern buy a prebuilt battery or:
  2. Be extremely careful. 10 seconds max on the cell at a time and give each P group at least 5-10 minutes of cooling off to allow for minimum risk. Use at least a 60-watt iron and let it get fully hot before using it. scratch up the nickel and use rosin-core solder and maybe additional rosin. Leaded solder works best but isn’t as “healthy.”

My problem was I lingered too long and I thought that I needed 2 strips over the series connections. you don’t (Unless running a beefy boy). Just put an appropriate gauge wire between S connections.
I did not notice any range reduction from soldering my cells. Even after ABUSING my battery (soldering it, overheating it to the point where it started to burn carbon fiber in spots [somehow current protection on VESC got messed up], leaving it at 90% sitting for over a year), this battery is working just fine with no change in range or performance.

I cannot guarantee that this will be the case for all, but this is just my experience soldering my batteries together.

1 Like

Sorry I ment to say how to join cell packs together

1 Like

quantum strings

oh I’m making a 12S8P so I have some pics for you to look at @jonisingt35r

Does this help?

that’s what I’m making 12s 80 have made all the cells burn not joined them together yet have you got a link please thanks

1 Like

ignore all the extra little tabs it was a fucked up mess

1 Like