how to solder to bms with hole style attachments in it?

NOOB QUESTION FOR SURE?

how to i get my solder to stick in this hole?

thanks to ya for any help!

read:

1 Like

Pull your exposed wire all the way thru so the face of your insulation is pressing against the PCB. Hold it there with something (your thumb is fine)
Flip upside down, solder pad on on that side, knip off excess.

Or solder it anywhere on the pad you’re looking at. Doesn’t matter/have to be pulled through. You don’t want much exposed wire coming off of the PCB tho. Only need like 3-5mm.

(The first part of my reply is completely erroneous. You don’t need to solder it that way or fill the hole with solder. Just tin your wire & solder it to the flat piece you’re looking at, you can avoid the hole completely. Anywhere on it is fine)

I like to put a fishpaper dot underneath the hole and then fill the hole with solder. Then i just push a tinned wire onto the pad/hole

2 Likes

thanks! tha seems like a good option for the connnection…I’m guessing the end result woulkd be having a big blob of solder in the hole tht extends onto the PCB with my wire in it?

Don’t overcomplicate this.

1 Like

In a waythe issue i see is How do you solder into an air space? Fill it full of solder that extends to the out. would it be fine to solder between the holes diectly to the PCB? Sorry about the Noobness…Also, that solder video I’ve seen and read through the articale I few times and unless I’mi missing it I don’t see where he shows the same or a similar scenario?

Solder wicks via capillary action & pools w/surface tension. Using flux/rosin greatly aids in this. Unless you’re using an incredibly small soldering iron tip, once you get heat in the area, it will homogenously(?) fill the empty area/void space.

I’m not around soldering equipment right now or I’d make a video. Maybe somebody else can. As long as you have a soldering iron with a standard tip and some form of solder tin/lead solder, that connection should take even the most inexperienced solder less than a minute.

What I’m saying is you can solder it like that.

But also… if you just place the tip of the iron to the wire&pcb & feed solder into it just how you’ve already set it up in that picture… it will form into a solid joint. The solder just fills in the space when proper heat exists.

Maybe posting a picture of your iron & solder would be more helpful. If you have really thin solder you can quadruple it up on itself, twist it, & have much thicker diameter rod of solder to work with.

thanks! I just thought it was an awfully large holes, I’m charge only and not using a big gauge…16? should i do the connection with 12 since it’s a big encough hole and probably menat for that?

You’re bypassing discharge, right? 16awg is fine. Going larger would be dumb tbh.

Idk why YouTube search terms are so fucked beyond belief I can’t find a decent vid now.

But basically just bend it over itself like you already have. Solder with a decent iron & chunky length of solder. It will fill in the hole & give you a solid connection. Try to angle the wire whatever way it needs to be within your enclosure. (Or don’t worry about the fkn hole & just solder straight to the pad. Either way works the same in the end)

The holes on your BMS, like all of my favorite holes in life, are “versatile”
Just because it is a “big hole” does not mean you need to use a “big wire” on it. Sometimes a smaller wire is all you need to do the trick.
Sometimes hotdogs belong in hallways.

1 Like

@BillGordon can we get a video of you filling in your big hole?

2 Likes

no brob but it will have a lot of spooge sticking to a surfice cause a thin small ass point needed to be inserted and fill such a large cavity!

Thanks I have a secure iron and 60/40 pretty thin solder but I’m sure it will fill in if I just make sure to add enough. Maybe I’m thinking solder doesn’t spread as much as it does in my negative brain

1 Like

Take a large length of solder. Like, 2ft. Bend it in half. Bend it in half again. Then hold one end steady, twist the other. It will twist itself up like a bread tie twisty or whatever.

After doing that you should have one thick solder rod made up of four twisted strands. Cut off one end to expose the rosin core. Then go to town with your thick solder. GGWP thin solder.

Google “lemon party” to see what I’m up to these days.

1 Like

The “male loneliness epidemic” could be cured by lemon parties. Good move.

1 Like

The lonliness epidemic is what Le Lemon’ Heads have to look forward too! Unless they
're good looking then they can easily bring the women into their party!

This

3 Likes