⚡ How to properly ground your board!

April fools LMAO

no this is real. it ain’t no joke not grounding your board

3 Likes

Yeah my board wouldn’t perform very good on water or air, I feel like ground makes the most sense.

giphy (11)

How did I miss this :joy:

7 Likes

Just move to England, all plugs have an earth and the queen has sanctified every riding surface.

2 Likes

i find that carbon fiber string works best, tie it on ur motor, then let it loose on the ground

I ground my board with a serious dad voice

4 Likes

Yeah, wrap it around the motor and then tie it to your wheel, make sure it’s really thicc for extra effect

1 Like

i prefer to tie 2 less thicc string, one on each motor, but i guess i should tie to my wheels as well

On a serious note, isn’t grounding only necessary for AC power?

On dry days that are especially staticy I ride in my ESD rated work boots.

2 Likes

Even in DC systems you want enclosures and any conduit and such bonded together, so potential cannot form and shorts and faults can be detected. That’s why in things such as cars you see engines in different chassis parts with a big braided metal cable bolted between them.

If something hot comes loose you don’t want it to energize something else, you want a breaker, fuse, or fault detection to pop.

1 Like

Wouldn’t a lot of non-conductive parts act to keep things from being energized when they shouldn’t?

Yes nonconductive parts could isolate things, then one part could develop a potential versus another part and that is undesirable.

1 Like

DC power system “grounding” can also be critical for decreasing susceptibility to electrical interference and to help suppress electrical interference emissions by the device. Without this connecting of heat sinks, circuit board ground planes, etc., to the common negative terminal, thus “grounding” them, these devices can fail emissions testing and could be affected by other nearby devices.

True earth grounding can also be done as there are some extremely high voltage DC power transmission systems in use and leaving some things “floating” (not connected to ground) could be a safety issue as @ZenRides mentioned.

5 Likes

Can confirm. Have a 540V 10S1P LiFEPo4 battery cluster in the lab that VERY much so requires an earth ground to pass inspection.

1 Like

That would let probably more than a fart out if you messed with it.

That toaster user wasnt innocent, he had a knife…