How can I create a “Performance Score” for a battery?

Well, everyone knows that More Bananas = More Better. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I think it’s really hard if not impossible to make something useful of it

The people with little knowledge will blindly take the highest number without other considerations and that may be not the best for they’re use case, and those who know more will dig into it more to find the best one

What would be cool is to be able to use your riding logs to simulate what changing the cell or pack configuration and see what would happen

I have this implemented in a really user unfriendly way for motors and gearing, if you have two or more motors modeled, you can take a log, set what motor and gearing you collected the data, and change the motor and gearing and see how your consumption would change. Unfortunately it’s limited to just consumption right now since thermal modeling the motors is not easy

Something like that for cells shouldn’t be that hard to implement, but I imagined pack temperature would be really important since the internal resistance changes significantly with it, what do you think @Battery_Mooch ?

3 Likes

It would be a lot more difficult than you might imagine. :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes, pack temperature is important along with the starting state-of-charge. And since a log was being used we can assume that a low voltage cutoff point for the simulation is not needed.

A few thoughts…

• A range estimating tool would be awesome.
  • Using actual logs wouldn’t be necessary. The user would be asked what range they get now, the pack configuration used, what cells are used, and their riding (usage) profile. From this we can derive actual per-cell performance data for their existing setup.
  • But how do we estimate range once a new pack configuration is chosen? If someone is using a 12S4P pack and wants to estimate their range with a 12S6P pack or a 16S3P we can’t just add up the Wh that the cells delivered while in a 12S4P pack since the current being drawn from each cell is now different. It seems we would need to ask them how much current per cell (or total) they would be drawing in the new setup in order to use the correct set of data for the cell.
  • Or do we ignore efficiency differences at different discharge current levels?

Or am I completely missing something? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Really good points

For the logs, I was thinking more in line of using them to create an individual riding profile, say that the user has 1000 km of logs, we create a small distance, let’s say something between 1 and 5 km, representative riding cycle for that specific user, and use that to compute what would happen for any other battery or any component configuration

But yeah, the temperature really kills the deal, only workaround I can see is to keep the same cells numbers and physical build, and use the logs to create a thermal model of this configuration and simulate the new temperature with the cells using this model, but this requires that the original logs to have pack temperature sensors, as far as I know only the Trampa new packs and our new Lacroix packs have cells temperature sensors for us to use

@bevilacqua has a really cool paper where he used logs from a bunch of riders to create an ESK8 riding cycle test, really cool and worth the read, something similar could be done at a individual basis (Mathias, pardon me posting directly the pdf but I couldn’t find your link anymore)

Case study Electric Skateboards.pdf (10.1 MB)

4 Likes

I was wondering whatever happened to that study that we submitted stuff for

Look at tamatoa out there in the middle of nowhere lol

This study was super awesome. Really well done.

2 Likes

Thanks…I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

Score it like golf only with cricket points.

1 Like

instead of a rating system, maybe a “what is the best battery” section on your website.

you’d then list the top 3 cells for each category.

For example:
Category: Esk8

• p42A most power
  • 30Q best bang for buck
  • 35E most capacity

ebike:

• X best bang for buck
  • Y …etc
  • Z …

ecig:

• X best bang for buck
  • Y …
  • Z …
2 Likes

Partially offtopic here, but unless in extreme p-depths like 15P or more I don’t think the 35E is going to give you most capacity.

Assuming normal 50A loads.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s the backup plan. :grin:

I think sex toy performance is an important metric to consider here as well.

Side note @Battery_Mooch, if you would like to prevent hilarious but somewhat off topic comments like the one above, you can always put “[SRO]” in the thread title and I’ll know to keep my juvenile humor out :wink:

4 Likes

Where would we be without you, Justin?

2 Likes