How bad are DRV errors really?

What I should have said was: buy a new VESC4 and turn the switching frequency down on that one.

If your DRV dies in use, it could throw you off the board and cause serious damage that will cost you a lot more than a new VESC4.12.

1 Like

Iā€™ve strongly considered this, but not done it yet.

1 Like

How will it throw me? Like does it lock the brakes or just go dead?

Usually during braking is when it eats it

You think one of those can fit under the stock plastic cover of a focbox? I would prefer to keep the plastic top on the focboxes while theyre mounted to the heatsink.

I was thinking about that, and I actually got some of those and some of the thermally conductive epoxy.

If it wonā€™t fit, you can just sand the top off until it does :smirk:

I was planning to try it. Though itā€™d take years and hundreds of ESCs to know if it helped, as just because one doesnā€™t break does not mean it would have broken without the heatsink :expressionless:

1 Like

Yeah, but it will make me feel better :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Do the brakes go full stop or does it cut and you donā€™t have brakes?

Mine have cut to neutral

Iā€™ve only blown DRVs on a dyno, never in use. I guess if it fails while you are braking, the severity of the failure is dependent on whether or not you really need to stop :wink:

If I had a few VESC 4s (to blow up), I could put them on the dyno (shaft coupled BLDC motors) with, and without the little heat sink. I could monitor the power line with an oscilloscope and see if there are switching transients in regenerative braking mode, and if the drv is hotter. Iā€™d post a videoā€¦

2 Likes

The thing about the 4.x hw is that it is obsolete and should probably be stopped from production, for the better.

It has some significant flaws and if you would ask the creator what his taughts are, he would answer that he is dumbfound why people bother buying 4.12 hw when the VESC6 hw is far superior in every aspect. With a inductance friendly motor the 4.x worked alright at best, but people really should consider dishing out for something that will last instead of cheaping out on something that is very prone to failure. Over time, youā€™ll profit over buying new shit.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had drv errors that didnā€™t kill the esc. At least not yet, but it seems okay. On focboxes, and memory is fuzzy but I think the enertion/hobbying style 4.10/4.12 ones too. So you might still be okay.

Check your caps legs, and check for too long or too thin battery to esc cables.

1 Like

Where did you buy the esc from? Fipsky do have some kind of warranty.

The big FSESC I got new from FlipSky but itā€™s last the warranty time, the small MayTech I got second hand but supposedly unused from a forum member who got it new from psychotiller

The ESC looks healthy, it had a 15" 14 awg wire from battery to ESC

I never ever get errors in bldc mode, every time i try foc though, i get errors on both instantly, and i stop moving. Switch back and everything works again. Im using 4.10 (With added TVS diodes)

Just got 3 consecutive errors, sheā€™s toast. Since the ESC is from @Psychotiller via another forum member, is it still covered by any warranty?

1 Like

Fuck man im sorry, I just killed one of my maytech 4.12s :frowning:

1 Like

anyone know what DRV fault this is? After a power cycle everything works fineā€¦