How accurate is the unity terminal on Android. I think not so much

I’ve got this board. I kept getting weird motor / cuttouts. So I put in a new unity.

Cuttout at 35 seconds.
12s 5p 150 amp pack https://photos.app.goo.gl/Arawb3MVy8bhjTJM7

Same issues. Every time after going 30 plus mph for more then 3 mins I would get a cutout/ shutter

Every time I’d open the terminal and check for faults. Nothing showed up

So I swapped out the unity for a new in box ( non raptor shop etc). Same issue.

This time I had installed my only metr. https://metr.at/r/jAljj see the fault at the end before I stopped logging.

So. Why dont the faults show up on the app?

And why do these motors get so damn hot. My open maytechs never overheat. And I cruise mid 30s. Mph

So, question. Two actually.

Why doesn’t terminal work for me ever.

What do you set your cuttoff at. Why is the cuttoff so.jerky on the unity. It’s very scary at 35 mph

Oh and on a side note. Have a 12s board with unity. It loves to send pulses ( no ramp up - immediately) of full brake or full throttle. Scary as shit. It’s got a Hoyt, so I’m ruling out a rx/tx issue. That shows no faults. I was cruising at 5 mph in a crowded boardwalk and it went full throttle for 200ms,. Enough to send 1500 watts to the motors and land me ok my butt. Firmware is up to date through the app.

Also, will metr log the motor temp? I don’t see it,. But rarely use the app. It’s probably there

2 Likes

Is your bms set for charge only/bypass? Bms could be cutting power to the unity. Without some kind of telemetry tracking its hard to say.
This is assuming that you got an “actual” unity and not one from the last 12 months with the terrible qc and reselling of faulty/second grade units.

Edit: Also realised you are the guy that bought all the unity stock so I guess you can use your “community spares” to continue switching them out till you find one that works if it’s the problem.

Why? The Hoyt may be a good remote but everything can malfunction at some point.

1 Like

True.

And I always directly wire my ESC to the man battery. Charging bypass done on all BMS I own.

Fair. Tomorrow I’ll.put a new Hoyt. It’s hard to hook a scope while Riding. The post was to ask about sudden accelerating. Sudden braking is more common and sometimes due to phase wires.
The main reason I can’t see this being the RX-tx now that I’m thinking, is based on the super abrupt 100 percent throttle in 10-200ms. It’s that quick. My throttle ramp up.times are way slower and I don’t ever set them as fast as the glitches. I like speed but not the type that feels like that.

If you have a metr module, you can see the ppm signal record.
No need to buy another remote.

I just went into the app… I don’t see PPM logging… Spend a few minutes browsing>

I’m confusing everyone by talking about two separate boards, with 2 separate issues

First board has motor overheating/ abrupt shut offs due to that?

Second board has a unity that says Full throttle, and Full brake *(quicker then the ramp up/ down ppm times i have set

Just looking for a little insight.
I have extra unity and hoyts, Rather not open new packages though. Maybe I’ll wait to see if Stormcore app gets updates to have metr like capabilities so i don’t have to swamp my only metr around my myriad boards

I get the same issue with sealed 6396 maytechs.
They get over 80c very easily and start cogging. Probably due to resistance increase, cause raising temp cutoff start doesn’t do anything.

I’m not ridding on hills and about 200lbs with gear. Pretty dissappointed with with these motors, not sure how Lacroix riders and other peoeple running them never complain about overheating… They are only good for cruising around casually. :sweat:

What firmware version? 23.45 is bad.

1 Like

So, I think the only thing that clears faults is a power cycle. I assume you’re not power cycling it before checking? maybe the BMS is?

so what faults did you trigger?

yes. it does.

if you trigger a fault. it’s gonna be jerky everything basically reboots. ( there’s a fault recovery time setting somewhere… I think it’s 3s). possibly it’s both motors cutting that makes it seen worse than dual vesc single side hitting a fault. though for me that’s pretty squirrelly on it’s own.

thermal cutoffs though you shouldn’t trigger suddenly. unless something is sketchy like flaky sensor data jumps you to the fault condition before really feeling the throttling.

1 Like

PPM logging is available on the web view. I think it might not show in the app yet.

2 Likes

So the consensus is that these Maytech sealed motors are garbage for esk8?

I have a set of 6374 that easily get up to 85c not even trying that hard

I guess they would be fine in 4WD or in a very light duty build.
No reason to get them over TB6380 regardless.

1 Like

I made that mistake recently…

1 Like

I get mine hot as fuck too. The open cans are great

1 Like

I think I am going to pull them off the MTB and save them for some thane

My last ditch effort is to try to heat them up to around 50° c and then run the motor detection again. Hopefully it somewhat changes the detection values and helps with the overheating. Like I said last ditch effort though :joy:

You can just put 3 volts to your sensor port and get 80c. Actual voltage may vary