HomeAssistant Bluetooth BMS Monitoring Server Guide

I do

Got the esp32 version working so it has to be something funky with my bluetooth adapter or something else.

1 Like

Do you monitor them continuously? My ESP (WROOM 32) seems to loose connection after ~3-4 hoursā€¦ not sure how to fix that. Thought about sleeping for 15min each and just polling shortlyā€¦

Iā€™m having a problem like that, it seems like it just stops pulling information from the bms but the lights on bluetooth module on the bms stay lite like something is still connected. Viewing the log from esphome doesnā€™t show any activity at all when this happens.

2 Likes

Hi looking for some advice please home assistant on iPad using raspberry pi4 trying to view BMS data I can see in the batmon log that it can see my JBD BMS and various Victron equipment but canā€™t find where itā€™s publishing data any help would be appreciated

Batmon publishes the information through mqtt to home assistant.

Please check Integrations => MQTT => devices

This seems to happen with some of the JBD/LLC models. Not all of them have the issue though. You can consider connecting straight to UART, you might a logic level converter though, not sure about that.

I noticed that when the ESP was running my mobile app would not connect eitherā€¦ would be better if the esp connected, read the status and then disconnected again for x minutesā€¦ might have to give this another go sometime soon.

I wrote a .yaml file for this a while back, lmk if I can find it

1 Like

That would be nice.

Hello, very usefull addon. Its possible to use with Seplos BMS Bluetooth?

Seems like thereā€™s an annoying timeout bug with LLT (JBD) BMSes:

I also find it really annoying that if the device is unavailable, the sensor readings turn to ā€œunavailableā€. This means if I make an automation to warn me about battery levels, it can fail if the sensor reading turns to ā€œunavailableā€ when my automation triggers.

I might fork the addon / make an MR for such changes. Would also be great if the addon auto-discovered LLT BMSes, like the overkill solar app does. Then you wouldnā€™t have to change the config file if you have friends over / happen to own an esk8 workshop with boards constantly coming in and outā€¦

2 Likes

Also hereā€™s a compensation you can modify and copy-paste in your configuration.yaml file to turn battery voltage into a state of charge percentage. (I copied the values that Davega uses)

compensation:
  ebike_battery_percentage:
    source: sensor.ebike_cell_volt_average
    unique_id: "ebike_battery_percentage"
    unit_of_measurement: "%"
    data_points:
      - [3.20, 0]
      - [3.39, 10]
      - [3.48, 20]
      - [3.57, 30]
      - [3.66, 40]
      - [3.75, 50]
      - [3.84, 60]
      - [3.93, 70]
      - [4.02, 80]
      - [4.11, 90]
      - [4.20, 100]
1 Like

Hmm, is this normal behavior after a charge, or is home assistant pinging my BMS draining the battery slowly? :thinking:

I wouldnā€™t say thatā€™s normal, but power used from the BMS will def increase when pinging. Not supposed to discharge yours cells like that though.

Iā€™ve noticed that due to the connection errors my BMSes arenā€™t even available on my phone unless I unplug the bluetooth adapter from my home assistant server. So I think it might actually be keeping them on and using up power. :confused:

Can confirm the connection issue

For the life of me, I canā€™t get this to work on a Daly BMS and using HA on a Raspi 3B+.

Donā€™t worry, itā€™s a messy project.
You are not really missing out :rofl:

Finally got it workingā€¦ Now it only detects 4S instead of the 8S on my BMS