Help us build the most efficient esk8 tire [Hunter Boards]

So the “tire” is effectively a tube with tread pattern?

3 Likes

Thicker rubber on the outside. Think like a tubeless but wraps all the way around instead of being open and making the rim seal it.

2 Likes

The only thing i’d REALLY want in a new tire on the market is that i don’t have to purchase yet another kind of pulley/gear for it. Please make the design compatible with existing ones.

4 Likes

Yes yes, that was what I was trying to say but I got a bit carried away.
So yeah aerodynamic drag is not we are worried looking at this since it is for a skateboard.

1 Like

Makes sense wasn’t looking into that but I will now.

1 Like

Hum that is really smart. Don’t know if it is posssible but I am looking into that now.

Yeah this wheel would be one part only, not two so air seal wouldn’t be an issue.
Because when it is not inflated you can put it in like car tires.

that is the feedback I have too. They tend to have a lot of rolling resistance.

1 Like

Didn’t understand that could you explain better? Are you worried about the wheel balancing?

He is saying it would be cool if the wheels came very well balanced out of the box when inflated to a specific pressure.

2 Likes

Does balancing changes a lot with pressure differences?

Unbalanced wheels provide a wobble and lack of stability which is very noticeable for Esk8. On a car it’s just annoying and leads to early tire wear, but on a board it’s more disturbing.

As for tire pressure, the recommended pressures range quite a bit. Often seems like a guessing game. Thus the idea to state what pressure they are balanced at as I imagine they will ship deflated.

1 Like

After balancing my set of pneumatics, i’m able to vary the tire pressure through a range of 25psi-40psi without it affecting the balance. So your tire pressure (within a reasonable range) shouldn’t change the balance enough to cause issues.

That being said, if you’re going from a deflated storage state to an inflated state for use out of the box, i’d be worried about the tire properly seating on the hub. If it doesn’t seat centered on the hub or otherwise isn’t properly aligned, it can create “balance” issues with the tire not running true to the hub.

dont mind me, just gonna leave this here…
Screenshot 2022-07-15 12.39.01 AM

1 Like

That stuff really increases rolling resistance and destroys efficiency and speed

Never experienced that but it is great to know it is a problem and will be sure to give the correct pressure they should be used.

Is it common for the tires to not align with the wheel? I ask that because they should as the pressure is equally distributed inside the wheel. May that be caused by a bad lip design on the tire or the rim?

Yeah from what I know this foam really does a lot of drag.
By the way why is it unisex? Male and female tires? :joy:

2 Likes

Oh thats foam. Lame. I figured sone kinda urethane.

It’s not a super common issue, but it can happen on certain combinations of tire and hub. Since the tires we use aren’t all exactly the same tolerance, the inner lip can vary in diameter, this combined with variances in hub design can lead to some requiring more effort to fully seat the tire in certain cases.