Help: battery voltage goes to zero when I accel

Something bizarre is happening.
My Stormcore reports battery voltage is fine:

But when I accelerate (even with the board sitting on the bench) the voltage instantly drops to basically zero and low voltage cut off kicks in.:

This manifests as hitching and cutting out if I try to ride it.

The actual battery voltage according to the bms is barely dropping at all.
Wheels still:

Wheels turning:

I would think thats an ESC issue. Have u done any troubleshooting w the Lacroix peeps?

No I’m hoping it’s something simple before I go down that path.

A simple check could be to check your battery connection to the ESC, make sure it’s solid. Could be a loose or bad connection and so it reads fine until you start trying to draw real power in which it actually can’t.

2 Likes

I assumed he’d already done that but ya, that’s the first place to start. Cold welds would be a prime culprit. @GnomeMeansNo did you build your own pack and solder your own connectors?

1 Like

Pack was bought from Propulsion Boards and made by @A13XR3.
Seems good quality.
Looking at the connectors they appear nice and shiny:

u set the correct series count in vesctool? might wanna check that, and also check if the cut off start and end values are still within safe range

1 Like

Good thoughts.
They seem to be set right:

1 Like

Ya he’s an experienced battery builder. You’re looking at the wrong end of the connectors though. You want to check the solder joints. Even w an experienced builder a joint could get damaged or could have been missed. That’s gonna be a pain w those panel mount pass throughs.

I’m assuming you get proper voltage at your main discharge terminals?

What’s the smart bms cell data look like?

HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS I figured it out.
I took apart my other board to try that battery and it worked fine.
Then I realized… The socket slid in further on the battery that works.
The first battery just needs a serious fuckoff push to seat all the way in:

WRONG (there’s a “bumpstop” here that makes it feel like it’s fully seated):

RIGHT:

The antispark connector has two rings on one side down inside of it and it looks like the inner ring is much tighter than the outer one.

9 Likes

I think what I was seeing was only the outer “antispark first touch” ring was touching so only the power that could go through the antispark diode was feeding the ESC - and that’s not much.

I’m glad this didn’t break anything.

4 Likes

u may or may not have pop that resistor inside…

5 Likes

Ya you may consider changing the female XT90S. Glad it was easily solved :+1:

2 Likes

Meh, once it’s plugged in it doesn’t matter.

2 Likes