Has anyone allowed completely unrestricted braking current?

IMHO it’s because users of their loose cells, particularly vapers, keep blowing themselves up and suing LG (and everyone else in sight). This costs LG time and money but most importantly it affects their reputation if the public thinks their cells are defective. This they will not accept.

I’m hearing about accidents a lot less but that won’t lead to the big manufacturers stopping what they’re doing. Samsung has also been very actively trying to stop usage of their cells outside of battery packs and Murata has had warnings on their cells for years.

Only Molicel openly allows use of their cells outside of a fully protected battery pack. Though, if they get sued a few times that policy could change.

11 Likes

:100::100:

2 Likes

Im running -60A at 4p 40T pack, still not on fire :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I probably dont hit that much anyways and if I do its for really short periods of time

1 Like

I tried -240A on 6P 40T. Nothing suspicious happened.

1 Like

Do you think you could actually approach anywhere near that current stopping hard from full speed? Just curious if you logged the maximum attained regenerative current.

3 Likes

@Trampa advocates seating no limits to battery Regen as thay say it’s safer to destroy the battery than lose brakes

In one of Benjamin Video he sets Regen to -9999

2 Likes

It won’t destroy the battery. The braking strength is always in line with the currents you allow to flow towards the battery. Advocating low setting is identical to advocating to skate with insufficient brakes. Riders do not use full brakes at full speed anyway, so the current is limited by your thumb, not the setting.

5 Likes

Yes I think so.

2 Likes

This statement is false.

Aside from that, it’s typically not a good idea to make assumptions in general.

7 Likes

Full brakes should be able to nearly block the wheels!

1 Like

and?

1 Like

I think he means full brakes at max duty cycle and maintain it

1 Like

If you do that at full speed, you fly. You would fly over the handle bar on a Motorbike or Mountainbike if you would pull full brakes at full speed.

6 Likes

I lock my urethane at dule -30A motor easily that’s at 1/2 motor brakes capability

2 Likes

I’ve pulled full brakes at full speed many times. I can definitively say that it happens.

I have not done so with unrestricted braking current, however.

But yes, I have locked up the wheels countless times.

The single drives, I lock those up constantly. The dual drives much less often, but more often than never.

4 Likes

The feeling of surfing on a single drive with a locked up rear heelside wheel is a very good thing indeed. I love how the board cocks sideways while you’re sliding.

3 Likes

So you could also set it to -1000A. Would have zero impact on Ampflow towards the battery.

This is why I personally disagree with single drive. It’s a huge compromise and weak brakes are a danger

2 Likes

Single drive has a lot of benefits. Strong brakes isn’t one of them. I feel like my fleet would be compromised without at least a few single drives. In fact, I grab those most often to ride. They are light, fail less, easy to work on, cheaper, and can be smaller.

8 Likes

So can you answer the question from person experience?

Personally I always set a battery Regen at double the fast charge rating of the cells x P count

5 Likes