Glass Frit DIY wrap

I’m thinking of vinyl wrapping my Trampa deck and doing a glass frit job on it. Does anyone have experience of doing this? I’m worried about the vinyl not bonding then and fucking the whole deck up!

Not sure if I’m in the right thread but delete if not allowed. Cheers!

1 Like

Forget vinyl. Use epoxy.

Take a look at this guide.

https://forum.freesk8.org/t/fabric-cf-skinning/271?u=eretron

3 Likes

Sorry I meant vinyl wrapping first then epoxying over the top. Then I have a white Trampa deck opposed to the normal ones!

1 Like

I think vinyl is a bad idea since epoxy can’t penetrate trough plastic so it won’t bond with the wood bellow. I guess it will peel of eventually since all that’s holding it to the wood is vinyl glue.

3 Likes

Ah. The Trampa decks aren’t wood either so it won’t bond anyways then.

1 Like

Sand it before applying to make it a bit rough. Epoxy will bond for sure.

3 Likes

I got a lot of ideas on here

4 Likes

What brand of Polyurethane do you use

I’ve done glass frit and spar urethane on top of vinyl before. That’s how this one was done:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-SJqcBJqO8/

That was a full top side application, and I asked the customer to let me know how it wears. I have not heard back from them yet.

also i regularly die cut vinyl for top side applications with poly and frit on top of it and so far no issues there.

4 Likes

you don’t need it to. You just need to use permanent adhesive backed vinyl. The kind that’s so sticky you better get it right the first time.

2 Likes

Might have to practice a few times then!

1 Like

Is there a special brand of poly that you use and is it always gloss🤙

I have used two types, they’re slightly different but both give excellent results.

Minwax Pro Series water based Spar Urethane.

Minwax One Coat Polyurethane, also water based.

One Coat is way thicker and requires less time because of it, but you have to be more careful about spreading it out because it piles up in spots easier. Pro Series Spar Urethane is runnier and requires more coats.

3 Likes

Yeah as stated above, the vinyl will create a barrier between the epoxy layers. To even get older layers to bond with fresh coats you have to clean and sand before adding anything new. People actually use vinyl sheets or plastic tape as a release to do an epoxy layup on.

3 Likes

Yup. Vinyl might not be too sticky for epoxy.
@glyphiks using it here as a a base sheet for epoxy layup. Why not a fabric? Would bind with the epoxy layers better.

2 Likes