Gear Drives - Hunting Tooth Frequency

@annihil8ted explained it above.

Actually we just need both gears’ tooth counts to be coprime, 10 : 39 would work, for example.

5 Likes

Excellent first post dude, very interesting discussion to be had here.

10 Likes

So i just wanted to bring this to light because its a general rule between engineers, unless a very specific gear ratio has to be used. It wont complicate the gear drive more, and it will add to the overall reliability, something i read many people find very important. So about the high rpm 10s , 150 kv = 5400 rpm, imagine running this for 10 mins, that will make 54000 turns.

I think if you have a 40/10 setup, the same teeth will touch every four turns so they will touch 54000/4= 13500 times.

This can be vasty reduced if you take an uneven number such as 11, i cant do the math of that right now because i just came back from the event in Hasselt :slight_smile:

10 Likes

:relaxed: :+1:
Yes, get it. And thanks a lot for sharing Luuk !!

3 Likes

I didn’t hear him say anything about teeth at prime numbers causing a better distribution of grease though, which was your response to him.

Curious if you could expand on what you mean here? Don’t quite follow the correlation you’re drawing. I understand what he’s saying on wear distribution though.

2 Likes

No, I’m good. Read what @annihil8ted wrote.

Idea is that as well as more evenly distributing wear by mismatching teeth, grease would also be distributed more evenly because teeth with more of it would pass it to teeth with less of it as they interact, and since each tooth on 1 gear interacts with each tooth on the other gear, eventually all excess / lack of grease will disappear.

7 Likes

Guys, don’t reinvent the gear. There exists software just for the purpose of gear generation. All of my gears are generated and machined using the software. Of course it requires a lot of paremeters and it works very well because the creators of said software are experts in gear machining. I don’t know if the guys in China do it right. Here I am adding example of gear parameters:

Good luck.

11 Likes

Oh God not again

Let’s get those dicks hard for some stats mothafuckas!!

15 Likes

Hold my beer :beers: :joy:

1 Like

I may be wrong but I think it doesn’t necessarily have to be primes. Primes is probable the best case but as long as your ratios are non integers, the gears should shuffle around and distribute evenly.

#dicksoutforengineering? #dicksoutforstats?

7 Likes

I can calculate how fun your skateboard is and when you’re about to eat shit :nerd_face:

Seriously though, very interesting insight on long term gear life setups. Conditional thoughts like these are what drive entire systems to be better. I think I like you :heart:

9 Likes

You seem to be malicious about anything from China.

6 Likes

I don’t mean to be malicious. This is just my general experience/observation.
There always are bad, good and very good manufacturers, using different practices, priced accordingly.

4 Likes

Oh shit, China REPRESENT.

Just wait til I design my gear drives.

There is a ton of good stuff in there

5 Likes

Hey, good to see you here i bought the 220 hangers from you a while ago. Didnt use them yet, but they are beautifully made. Plus i didn’t have to pay import taxes, so thanks :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry, I don’t know why you are so malicious to China. I have never attacked people from other countries in this forum. Products from China are good and bad, but many Chinese companies are working hard to make better things, like exway, backfire, and maker x, elofty, maytech, Dickyho, which make DIY accessories.

2 Likes

He wasn’t being malicious :smiley:

2 Likes

I think most people here know that China makes a ton of stuff available to us, but we’re also waiting for more opportunities to have input about gear developed for esk8. A vendor who handles themselves well can learn a ton about market need in this forum.

2 Likes