Gear Drive Discussion

No worries, I’ll take a gear drive as an apology and we’ll call it even :blush:

4 Likes

It might be the way your camera captured the sound which may have altered the pitch but it does give me goosepimples.

you must live on a different earth if you think gopros are cheap!

If i’m not wrong, the moon drives are £260 (unless I mistaken?), which coverts to roughly 341usd while the herringbone drives sold by avx which are currently being sold for NTD$13,300 which converts to roughly 439usd.

This equates to a $98 difference which I think i can justify by purchasing the set with the bergs ($60 off) and trucks ($20 off)… Am I missing anything…?

3 Likes

It was a 3 year old cheapest version, nothing fancy.

You’re completely right on price. I forgot I got the beta price :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Depends. Like the kaly drive has a fixed motor position, so you can’t change the pinion.
I mean you can :sweat_smile: but it will not fit after.

2 Likes

i’ll let you decide (:. Speed was around 45 to 55kmh. I almost lost my phone when i switched camera angles, probably should use a selfie stick next time…

4 Likes

This is actually “more” unfortunately because these drives only work with Haggy Kahua trucks and for now only Haggy Bergmeisters and thank wheels. So unless you don’t have any trucks yet it is ok but if you have some then well… Yeah.

But I am much like you. Hate staring people so I want the quietest. Even my evolve is too loud. As @Brenternet sqid though with the right grease and set up the sound can be reduced immensely.

*and Abec-cored wheels. Both use the same adapter.

4 Likes

Pardon me! I missed an update then :sweat_smile:
Fixing that

2 Likes

what are thank wheels o.o is this a new magic formula i don’t know about?

2 Likes

Lol
Auto correct :wink:

2 Likes

So, a list of GDs manufacturers (in Alphabetical order), if they haven’t put one already:

@3DServisas3D Servisas
@avXAvio MK2 Gear Drive
@IDEAIdeatb
@Janux-esk8Janux esk8
@KalyKaly.nyc
@moonMoon Esk8
@MorrisHsuSpiral Bevel Gears Drive Kit
@NoWindE-Toxx-Shop
@TrampaTrampa Boards

13 Likes

Curious if anyone here has experience with Boardnamics gear drives?

I’m wanting to do a commuter board on a Sportster platform. I want to go with rubber wheels (either cloud or ONSRA).

I want it light enough to mall grab to do public transport as needed. I don’t need crazy speed, or range, but need to be able to stomach hills as have plenty.

Thanks for any advice!

Definitely go for the highest gear ratio you can get then. Hard to tell if the sportster’s drop would get in the way of the motors or not, maybe someone can test fit it for you.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a gear drive kit for Paris trucks (or round trucks in general)?

2 Likes

diy

I can help you design an adapter for BN M1 and paris v2

Thanks, I might (very likely) come back to that offer (or I will just go with belts, we’ll see).
I am actually using Seismic G5s but I guess anything that fits Paris trucks should fit those tool.

1 Like

this could likely be sanded to work.

The closest would be AvX drives which mount on round-profile Haggy trucks, but Haggy stuff is tough to find now.

Better off giving up the Paris thought and go Moon, Boardnamics, or similar.

1 Like

Yeah, I scratched the idea of using the Seismics. They are WAY too small und weirdly shaped to really get anywhere (both for gear drives and belt pulley systems). So they will just go onto my bossa deck for a LDP setup.

So, now I am looking at the 3Dservisas urethane gear drives and the boardnamics M1 and…wow. That is quite a price difference. I kinda hate to ask this, as I love the guys from 3Dservisas, but is there any particular reason to go for the 3Dservisas gear drive over the boardnamics one?

3d servisas one is quieter. A LOT. And has angular support bearings, which deal with the side loads of using helical gears – no worrying about your motor can flying outwards / axle flying inwards.

On the other hand, the boardnamics drives use a large bearing instead of a v-ring, which is awesome.