Fully 3D printed gear drive that might not suck

Will they work with 6 inch pneumatics? (And what trucks/hubs have you designed them for?)

I made them for trampa infinity trucks
Theyre made for 107 flywheels but you can change my design to make them fit other wheels

2 Likes

Cool. Looking forward to taking a look…also hope that @ptowncruiser drops his files too as ive got cal 2 style trucks

Very interested over here too!

1 Like

for science, big gears are printed on second markforged xD

parts are reinforced, pinions will be metal. I also have these parts milled so i can do a direct comparison.

14 Likes

Looks nice. Looking forward to the live test!

I’m not sure if the columns on the kegel adapters won’t tear off too easily if printed in this orientation. Would be better if you rotate it 90 degrees but that would require a ton of supports so not ideal either.

4 Likes

Yes im thinking of a fix to that.

So as pomised here are the files for my gear drive for the Trampa Axles.

to print the leftside just mirror the file.
i printed them in Filamentum CF15 with 50% infill.
Additional material tht is needed are screws to secure the Wheels, screws to attacht the motor mount to the axle, screw inserts, 2 bearings like this which will go under the whell pulley
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00SG1QMLG/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1AK7K4N3J2QTFYN8VB5Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
and a v ring gasket to provide dirt getting into the drive.
Have fun im currently working on the build forum entry where you can find more detailled infos.

KR Sharky

12 Likes

Parts are superduper strong, today the gear itself!
I figured it would be fun to mount my 5045 motors on there :stuck_out_tongue:

15 Likes

Any chance of step/solid files? I’ll test that in another trucks

1 Like

No sry i only got stls

1 Like

So finally some progress in this, basically @brown5tick is my scapegoat for this :rofl:

The mount will hold, no doubt, however the adapter is printed (normal pla)aswell as the wheel gear (also markforged reinforced nylon). Those are the two points that should fail the first.

Motors are setup for show, 5065 200kv motors will be mounted.

17 Likes

What’s really struck me about these drives, which these photos will never get across, is how insanely lightweight they are and how insanely strong they are. The backing plate is all of about 6mm thick, feels like a feather in the hand and I swear, try as I might, I couldn’t get the slightest deflection out of it across its 1400mm length. It’s like black fucking magic.

(Side note: @Bavioze - product name idea: “Black Fucking Magic Drives”. Wdyt!? :smiley:)

Racerstar 5065-200s are on the slow boat from China. Updates to follow…

9 Likes

That’ll do it for you. That’s what peak of the FDM industry looks like

Really cool project though, I’ve wanted to try this too

6 Likes

Actually i forgot to give a shoutout to @Creavenger for printing the adapters, thanks a ton!

8 Likes

For those of you who are running this, how’s it going?

What are the pain points?
How’s the noise?
I’d love to use gear drives, but they are so loud.

It depends on the geardrive lol. Some are louder than others. Moon drives and 3ds drives are about the same as belts noise wise. If you helical they are quieter.

If you want to print them you can try. It’s one of those things that might work or might not. In either case they’ll fail long term compared to POM gears or cnc’ed Nylon gears

1 Like

Yeah, I was planning on buying gears from AliExpress. I had trouble finding helical pom gears. Maybe, I should just cnc straight cut gears. It would be a lot cheaper. I also have access to a Lazer cutter, but my guess is cnc is better. How much noise reduction does helical give you, when your already using pom for the larger gear?

1 Like

I gotta admit, guys, I’m way, way behind on it, much to my embarrassment and @Bavioze’s frustration. I’m missing a few small parts that are holding up final assembly and my other boards and projects keep demanding my attention. As soon as I’m on it I’ll report back here!

3 Likes

Hi Sharky, thanks a lot for sharing these files! i’ve tried printing one for my self and while it looks great, I’m having a hard time with the identification of the appropriate motor pulley to fit the pulley provided in your design. can you please point me in the right direction? where can i find a motor pulley that fits the geared wheel pulley? any help would be greatly appreciated!