FS battle-hardened 6384 high pitched noise at certain rpm range

I just used an epoxy to fill the open slots.

This was the first… Looks a little ghetto, the others I did a better job.

3 Likes

I wonder if it messes with the balancing.

1 Like

I haven’t noticed any issue. Balance or heat, just nice and quiet

Just saw this. My FS 6384s sound exactly the same.

I’ve been pushing them hard and no problems so far. Just that high pitch whine at around 35km/h.

1 Like

My 63100 ant innovation motors sound like this in the 28-35km/h range.
You can hear it loud and clear when i accelerate at 4 seconds forward. Sounds similar and was thinking about swapping them out already. Gotta try that shim + epoxy method.

The sound is very loud irl. Im done making peoples head turn :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So i opened my motors today and found out that the motor bearing closest to the pulley wiggled and caused some wear to the axle.

Having shim in there to offset the bearing from that problem area probably fixes it for a while but yeah. Sucks.

That looks like it is a freerchobby (garbage) motor. edit: just saw the post above it is a ant inovation. they are rebranded freerchobby.
To me that looks like a badly seized bearing. And looking by the low amounts of scratches and use the motor has I doubt the bearing died from water and use.

Did you use loctite to glue the pulley to the bearing. on the non stepped shafts it is very easy to have the loctite run along the shaft and get into the first bearing resulting in the tragedy above.

That might be the cause yeah. Im giving the shim method a quick go and if that does not fix the noise it generates im going to replace them.

Is flipsky garbage too or what i should be looking for? 6384-63100 area.

The battle hardened model from flipsky is made in house and is good. maytech are also good.

The magnets often come lose from the freerchobby motors and causes some increased drag and noice. as the magnets rubbs agains the stator. if there is a shiny area length wise along one of the magnets you know the magnet is loose. the magnetism often fools you so they seem like they are stuck to the can but they poop loose once the stator is inserted again. the sound from the video sounds like a lose magnet to me.

if the bearings are fine and you can get the motor goes back together like it should and the shaft is not all wobbly and it behaves like it should I would personally still use it. however that is up to you to decide.
however I would definitely battle harden the motor can it is just a matter of time in my experience before the magnet glue craps out on these motors so take your time and do that.

that is how i got rid of that specific noice from these motors anyways. It is a different noice compared to the flipskys (the in house model that is battle hardened with the blue dots) and the cause is different I believe.

2 Likes

Thanks for these big replies my guy!
6374 motors from maytech are my plan B. I did inspect the bearings and they seem all good to go. Need to go find some epoxy from hardware store next week. Have never done battle hardening myself but this is the perfect opportunity to give it a go.

Hi!

Can you post a video of your motors running after this fix?

Thanks!

the “whistle” sound, did it sound like this?

2 Likes

The newer flipies are not bad at all. The air gap is reduced to the thickness of a ginger hair. (smol in free-dumb units @b264? ).

I’ll get a little tune played for y tomorrow.

2 Likes

No mine was more of a whistle than a whine.
I’ll make a video tomorrow but it’s mostly gone now

I forgot about this. After i last posted one of my 6384s had magnets slide into the stator case. I pulled it apart and epoxied back down. They lasted another few months then windings caught fire.

Then on Friday the other one did the same. I’ve just done a bodgey fix again until i can get replacement Reachers. The flipsky 6384s are trash in my experience.

*edit: realised i was pushing more amps into them than recommended so can’t put them at complete fault. My Reachers handle the higher amps wirh ease though

8 Likes

I wondered about this but some gouges in the casing will also throw it off balance if those globs of glue make a difference. It’s weird they would meticulously balance them like that then leave these howling crevices at the end of the magnets

Also I vote for calling this the “Silencing Temperamental Flipsky Units” mod or ‘STFU’ for short.

I tried epoxy on the ends but it didn’t help me much. Pretty sure 18S is just too much for how these are balanced. Shimming the gap a bit bigger might help me more. The noise doesn’t hurt my ears anymore so there was some improvement.