Esk8s for commuting. How much does it cost?

Now look what you did.

You have awoken the beast.:joy:

Andrew has been going at it for 15min.

Hold on to your seats boys.

4 Likes

Honestly I think I have just taken the brunt of bad batches of motors + the number of miles I put on my boards commuting every day.

Wheels are usually 7" Innova inline or 8" knobbies.

Torqueboard 6380s had a bad batch I picked up a pair in, magnet retaining clips came loose + permanent magnets weren’t properly adhered to the bell. Within 50 miles for the first and the second was at about 90 miles.

Maytech 6374 sealed 170kv motors, gen1. Picked up half a dozen of these, sent 2 to a friend and he immediately had issues with the magnets coming loose within the first 50 miles. I had similar issues with previous Maytechs so I did an experiment where I hardened my left motor at kept my right one stock/untreated. At approx 700 miles in the untreated right motor started making the recognizable ā€˜twang at specific mid range of RPM’ noise that is the permanent magnets coming loose.

I kept riding that setup until a few days ago, my untreated motor next actually failed but was making noise that I know to be the retainer ring coming loose. The left hardened one is still holding up fine. At approx 2600 miles on both.

@SeanHacker dropped in my 2 spare Maytechs from that batch and we were impatient and didn’t harden them, both starting the known ā€œringingā€ noise within 100 miles. So overall 5/6 Maytech 170s fell to this condition, the only survivor was the one I hardened and recently retired.

Now I’m back on v1.2 Torqueboard 6380s that I dropped in that are supposed to be a bit more robust.

@taz I’m on the train and my internet sucks! It’s a struggle.

Edit: to throw in some more data, I’m officially retiring my custom 30q 10S6P pack I have in my LC carver. It’s at approx 4300 miles (6900 km) and I’m fail sure it has 2-3 dead cells after taking it up the hill a few times at Bakersfield this weekend. It was an ugly battery but a good battery, I managed to even underestimate a large puddle and the inside of my enclosure was best described as slightly soggy. I think if I hadn’t been such an asshole to it, it might’ve lasted longer. I was watching it sag to 31v at 80% charge on the hill though, and not recovering well. RIP little homey.

3 Likes

Oh wow, even with pneumatics you had so many failures. Of course, one has to rule out the bad batches. Hopefully the newer motors would perform better than the ones in past. The ones specifically made for esk8(sealed). Seems like battle hardening helps a lot. I’ll probably do it then the next time I open them for a bearing change.

2 Likes

Couldn’t you trace down the defective cells?

1 Like

Yes, but I’d rather build a fresh pack first. I’ll recycle the good cells in this one into another beater pack for testing. Once you have cells drop out it’s a pretty slippery slope, I’m guessing there’s at least partial damage to a few in addition to the baddies. For a battery that cost me $200ish in parts to build I feel I got a lot of use out of it, it’s gotten me to/from work for the last 6 months, and I definitely abused it.

3 Likes

Commute internally here, I mostly push

2 Likes