ESC getting really hot

Write down the detection results in case it doesn’t work in the future.

if I run Setup input, I get:

They Hoyt puck is PPM, right? I have to connect the bt module to the 4 pin connector on the unity?

1 Like

No, it’s PWM.

But, VESC mislabels PWM as “PPM”. So yeah, PPM is the option you check in VESC.

1 Like

Click the Firmware option on the left, and update the firmware on all the ESCs.

It says you’re already connected in the bottom status bar, so you don’t need any additional connectivity to set it up.

I tried many times and now, I can configure the remote. It works half of the time.

I had to update my firmware with STlink.

Write the bootloader first from the VESC Tool, then try to update the firmware from VESC Tool.

2 Likes

Everything works now. Vesc tool has configured motor max different for each motor and they are high compared to battery max. This will just drain the battery faster? Or should I put them lower?

1 Like

You want motor max to be a lot higher than the battery max in most cases. Could you post a screenshot?

Thank you b264 for everything.

2 Likes

That looks fine and will probably work great.

In my experience, you can probably turn motor max up to 60A or 65A and if you don’t raise battery max then probably even up to 75A.

But I’d try it this way first.

Remember there are two motors and that’s just one. For the other one, click Motor (UNITY): 39 on the left side.

Remember to write motor settings and write app settings before switching motors, and read motor settings and read app settings after switching motors.

It’s a Tenka, don’t push it

1 Like

If it’s a Tenka then don’t raise those as @Static mentioned

2 Likes

Took me 2 weeks to make that stupid controller work. I couldn’t even update the firmware at first. Too bad I saw this forum later. Thank you for everything.

3 Likes

Just stick around and help someone else if you can, or learn cool new things

5 Likes

I am building a 12s6p right now. When I will switch of batteries, I will only need to change the cutoff voltage because it is a 12s? The rest remains the same? Also, the BMS is 80A, so I can push the battery max to 80A? Then, I could put the motor max to 240A but the Tenka is 120A battery max and my motors are rated at 80A max.

yes, yes, not really, probably not, and I wouldn’t worry too much about the motors’ actual rating (but some)

Remember to halve your battery currents since you have 2 motors but only one battery.