ESC getting really hot

mostly flat.

also, you may wanna lower that “absolute maximum “ value to maybe 200A

then, it must be my Pelican case enclosure that doesn’t breath.

1 Like

i’ve run pelican case a whole lot, never caused too much an issue but it could be a factor

quick side note, on 2wd you need to split the battery current values in half since you have 2 sides the battery needs to supply current to

so when your bms can handle 25A each side should be set to 12.5

same would apply to the charge current specs

1 Like

I would first get concrete numbers on how hot it’s actually getting. Generally engineering classifies too hot for human touch as 60C, which is a whole 20C cooler than the threshold limit for the ESC.

4 Likes

Is this true for single MCU units like the Unity? I thought for those the values applied to both sides combined since there’s only one controller.

Yes, I will test drive soon and check my exact mos temp.

i actually, i don’t really know bout that part 100% :thinking:

each side still has independent settings so it shoooooould apply

No — always keep that absolute maximum current number set to the maximum it will allow you to set it at, which has already been programmed by the hardware maker.

That number does not really control how much current is sent to the motor(s), it’s something different. Lower values can be dangerous.

1 Like

lol if the tenka really is set to 405A absolute max :joy:

i usually never touch it, just strange to see it so high

1 Like

This is for the sake of public reference for this, not you specifically or just me being pedantic but: I usually use 50C as “too hot to touch” because my brain automatically starts to withdraw my hand if I’ve had it on something at 50 for a few seconds. The industry standard for tech in bodily contact uses 48 for sustained use, and 55~70 depending on material and contact time. This is from those tech industry standards

1 Like

True, I tried to put it at 200A and an error occured. Vesc tool set it to 400A for me.

1 Like

The Unity is 802A I think

did you configure both sides?

2 Likes

No, vesc tool configured both motors at the same time.

There’s your problem right there. You didn’t set the other side of the vesc.

It doesn’t set both sides at the same time, unless you are using the Unity app.

2 Likes

after the wizard, ye, you need to set each side individually, it won’t do both at the same time unless it’s within the wizard

never forget to click the read motor settings whenever you activate the can button in the tool, or you’ll mess em up

Huh? How come everything works? I’m using vesc tool for android. I never touched the can forward. I though it was for multiple vesc.

One side is programmed with the correct battery current. And the other is set at 100 amps since you didn’t change it. A tekna is 2 escs, on one PCB with an internal CAN connection.

2 Likes

So, when I press can forward activate, it brings me to the second vesc?