ENNOID XLITE & VESC

Still fails on channel 9, channel 10 can be put aside for now.

redo the test once it is really idle, not balancing, not charging, not discharging.

You can do it several time to validate it is ok or not. All channels should be around the same value except last one (10 in your case)

2 Likes

How many days should it balance to correct what shows as either .04 or .08v delta? It fluxuates between these values rapidly so im not sure what is the true delta. 10s6p p42a cells btw

The cells out of balance (7, 8, and 10) have been the same cell groups and the delta has been the same for 4-5 days now without improvement. Could my charger supplied voltage be the issue as the value in the bms tool for the charger voltage is as unstable as the cell readings though I donā€™t have a scope to look at the waveform or anything.

I do have a second bms that I could swap with this one (same model) to test but no second battery right now with the same specs.

It is a 900wh battery so maybe im just impatient.

Is it balancing at all? The fluctuation your are seeing is also quite suspiciousā€¦the printscreen of the testbms commamd you shown me was also failing. Maybe you have a bad connectionā€¦

Cells that are balancing are blue and cells not balancing are green on the ENNOID-BMS tool

Using VESC tool is green and orange when balancing.

BMS will normally balance until it has reached the balance difference threshold which is 0.01V in your case. A 900wh pack is quite small. What is your charging current? If you try to push 4A charging current into a 900wh pack, you might have issue at end of charge as I previously explained.

If you have a second board available, Iā€™d connect it and see if the cell readings aslo fluctuate. It should not fluctuate at all at standstill. I remember seing fluctuations at idle only when the C0 pin was not properly connected/soldered

Looks like that bms is just not working correctly? Checked all of my connections, verified readings with my fluke. When I first put this bms on this pack it took a very long time to balance a delta of 1.1v, maybe a week but I didnā€™t think much of it as all my boards are on the bench right now and Ive been very busy and not able to put much time towards them. It has been behaving this way since I got it in late July (voltage readings jumping .05vdc up and down every quarter second or so) and never gave good results but I just thought it was user error or some setting I had set wrong. Finally after banging my head against it for a few weeks I reached out on here for some help, should have said something sooner.

I have two identical bms and swapped for the second one I got from you and the voltage readings are steady smooth linesā€¦ wtf? Iā€™ve wasted so much time trying to get this thing to work lol. Now its balancing the 8 group down, all the other groups are within .005 and in just a short while it has dropped the high group from 4.135 to 4.128. Testbms command still returns a fail on connectiontest for group 7 but it is balancing group 8 right now. Does that seems reasonable?

Edit: overnight it has balanced to within .018

1 Like

Doing a testbms command while balancing will of course fail for some cells next to the one balancing. So yes, sounds reasonable.

For the one BMS not working properly I can arrange something for you, so I can look myself what is wrong with it. Something can have happened during handling it or testing it. One solder join on the balance IC chip is maybe not properly soldered. That is the only thing I can imagine.

Write me in PM and I will arrange that.

2 Likes

Fyi The pack has completed its balancing and testbms now passes with the new bms

3 Likes

No issues so far, Ran it in a few different setups, nothing extreme itā€™s just I would prefer it to have extra heatsinks :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if you can use your 3D model and work with @SabreDynamics to cut it out of aluminum?

I have made some changes since then to the enclosure, I mean if you take into account itā€™s made out of aluminium instead of plastic you could make it, however in its current state it wouldnā€™t work as there is risk of shorting something.

1 Like

Ah ok yeah maybe half aluminum or something then. Iā€™d have to take a look at the design again.

" * Balance connectors pin count can be customized to the final pack specifications. Dedicated resistors can be populated for bypassing unused balancing channels."

@ENNOID Just received my XLite 20s v2. :slight_smile: What resistors should I buy? Which resistors should I populate for an 18s pack? Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Doing it by yourself is possible by soldering 0ohm 0603 resistors in the dedicated slot between the unused channels. They are all identified at the back, 23, 22, 21, 20, 19 ,18. The resistors when populated are creating a short between the linked channels.

I will put some info about that in the documentation today.

To avoid any rework, you should have added a note during your purchase specifying the cell count and connector pin count. I would have done it for you.

1 Like

No worries, Iā€™m comfortable with this type of rework. :slight_smile: Maybe add a note on the site letting people know to specify? :slight_smile:

Also, I think I noticed a typo on the page. Under the ā€œENNOID-BMS XLITE-V2 specificationsā€ for ā€œ20Sā€ it says ā€œ24Vā€. Shouldnā€™t this be ā€œ20Vā€?

Also, I mistakenly did not purchase the SC6-5 cable lugs for connection to the 100A fuse. Are these the same (just trying to find what I need on digikey)? https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panduit-corp/LCMA6-5-C/4566667?s=N4IgTCBcDaIDIGECyBBAbAWgKwYSAugL5A

1 Like

@ENNOID ,

Is it possible to just short all the unused wires on the balance plug harness, instead of soldering zero ohm resistors?

Yes, the resistors are just a new way on XLITE-V2 to get the unused channels shorted. Any other external method works. The pinout diagram document on the website is still valid and easiest way to adjust cell count

If you have space for a fuse that is good, sc5 or sc4 are available on aliexpress for cheaper if you are not in a hurry.

I dont see any typo in the specification page

Hi there!
Just got XLITE-12
The question:
How to establish CAN communication with ENNOID/VESC tools?
What adapter do I need? What protocol has it to use: candleLight, slcan, pcan, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Vladimir

Two options to use the configuration tool softwares with the XLITE-V2:

• Connect XLITE CAN bus to a VESC CAN bus and use USB on VESC with VESC-tool
  • Use a USB to UART adapter connected on the XLITE UART port with either ENNOID/VESC-tool

USB UART works fine.

What hardware I need from the PC side to form VESC CAN bus???

I have MKS Canable Pro adapter.
I flashed it with various FirmWares:
peakcan - USB HID driver;
slcan - Virtual UART (LAWICEL CAN USB):
candleLight - USB device;
All these protocols works fine with the corresponding SoftWare.

BUT ENNOID/VESC Tools does not see them.