Ender3 All Metal Direct Drive Upgrade

Lol :joy:

PA is very hydroscopic. I had sample laying in drybox with plenty of desicant and it was all moist. Could not print it.

1 Like

Just finished my enclosure made of 15x15x500 makerbeams

Still needs a lot of work, like a proper opening, but I’ve to search well how to cut acrylic :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks great man! Only thing I would thing to take out the electronics. With 40 degree chamber tempersture the fan will work 100%.

1 Like

Got the hardened nozzle… Time to print gears…:grin:
Just testing with the nylon I have already. Is Esun ePA. Tried a small calibration cube and was surprise that the size was almost correct. Only 0.1-0.15mm off… Which is standard for 3D printing. I was aspecting more shrinking like ABS.

Anyhow printing at 100. 5% let’s see how it goes…

Quick getto style dry chamber :smirk: and go…

3 Likes

Another example why I love 3D printing.
First gear. For the monet is fine. I will print other at higher temperature to see if changes something. This one is at 260C (post processing boiled 30 minute and cool down in water), that is the max temp suggested, but I read of people printing at 275-280C. I will see :grin:
If it doesn’t work then I will try stronger material and otherwise I will machine it spur gear. This one is helical so need a 4th axis to machine it.

4 Likes

Is anyone in the EU after a brand new boxed Ender 3? I bought a spare and could get rid of it

1 Like

Pushing the envelope as usual, looks very useable congrats

1 Like

Thanks so far so good :grin: if not going to try stronger material. I made also a power draw bar. If someone has a mill and wants the files for the project will save you a bit of time :wink:

3 Likes

Concering the Ender3 I can ask to a couple of people. Which price are you shooting for?

Thinking €160 + shipping, it’s brand new and only opened to look at top contents.

is the pro or normal ender 3? Just to know what to say
Just because here in BE I know a lot of guys buy from a local shop that gives you warranty and extra test, plus cheap shipping. Ender 3 is too close, I will ask but I see it difficult.

Standard model

Upgrade for who is not running octoprint but wants control over the printer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7imE26gQlc
I think is great. Up to know I use an old phone as IP camera for the printer and a WiFi socket in order to shut off the printer if needed. This product sounds really good. Is someone already using it? Would it work on Marlin too? I will search about it. In the mean time better to order it since takes a bit of time :crazy_face:

1 Like

It looks pretty cool!

But, octopi is so nice. There’s a nice smart time estimator plugin that’s pretty accurate. The gcode visualizer. The “cancel one object” plugin.

I have a Logitech c920 hooked up, and I just added control for led lights via gpio.

24v from printer’s psu -> LM2596 $2 buck converter to 12v -> $1 mosfet boards for arduino -> LED ring light on camera, and LED strip stuck to roof of cabinet.

Pi has two GPIO pins that can do hardware PWM, so LEDs have independent on/off and brightness control now, accessible via octoprint UI (added like 8 lines to config.yaml).

I’m considering controlling printer’s 110v input via $1 relay board.

I can also use the pi to grab metrics from smart bms via btle.

1 Like

That’s why I said if you don’t run octoprint. Otherwise no reason for that. For a plug and play solution sounds nice. Ordered one from Banggood. I will report back if it works not on stock firmware.

1 Like

Let me know how it goes! I’m using a wyze cam atm. For unknown reasons my raspberry pi B+ cannot run it. It’s incredibly slow when it works.

2 Likes

yeh ordered already. We will see :blush:

Youtube showed an ad of SnapMaker, doesn’t look bad at all. What you’all think?

never looked at it before. I will have a look. Usually multifunction tools are only good if really well built and usually price comes with it. Just a general assumption of course