enclosure clearance

200 (1)

16 Likes

This type of ground clearance wouldn’t let you get onto a side walk without scraping, they have a little 1/2" lip and often have bump strips for visually impaired… I wish you luck :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

would turning not be an issue too?

9 Likes

Yes turning would also be an issue lol the corners of the enclosure would probably hit the ground

7 Likes

:sob:

Any recommended minimum for clearance?

1 Like

That’s going to be pretty hard to make slimmer, I forgot you made a drop deck. Maybe you could route out the deck a bit to inset the pack? If you could layout your electronics in the enclosure it might be easier to see where you can slim it down

Probably atleast an inch for clearance, but that’s as low as I’d go

3 Likes

It depends how much your trucks lean.

I typically wouldn’t recommend anything less than 45mm

5 Likes

What’s an inch?

In vehicle engineering, there is metric, and there is metric. Convert FUB to metric.

I think it’s not. But it’s not solely based on clearance, it’s also based on how far from the wheels. See this

9 Likes

Most of the times i dont want my enclosure lower than my truck axles.

8 Likes

I set mine up like this

1 Like

giphy (4)

5 Likes

This is my rule too, and even with it at that level, you can still scrape very easily.

My drop through hummie with DS on 110mm urethane, at its lowest points is just above the axle level and I scraped all the time. On Bergs, it’s pretty great clearance.

6 Likes

what kind of trucks are those and how do they work

1 Like

Hey Andrew, why not add some constructive answers instead of trolling?

Just curious.

2 Likes

That’s a good question. I’ll let you know if I ever get this thing out of my garage and on the street :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Technically he is correct, knowing is half the battle. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. I enjoy the humor…

I thought I would have enough clearance but I didn’t take into account the thickness of some of the enclosure padding, the enclosure wall thickness itself… it all is adding up.

The deck is big, so I may mill some extensions that have less drop and spread out the battery to one level instead of stacked. Looks like a 10s6p will fit with the VESC and BMS on one plane…

Anyway - not the end of the world. Perhaps I got enamored with the dropped deck look? I’ll drink some wine and think about it…

As always, I appreciate everyone’s feedback and input!

4 Likes

With the 3 link trucks you can move up your center hinge, is that still possible with yours? (Steering will be increased though)

I looked into finding a heim joint with a longer thread but that’s not going to raise it too much. I think I’m going to flatten the battery to one layer and go with a 12s4p. That should leave enough room for the VESC and BMS and add another .8" of clearance. Get’s me close to 1.5" of clearance total. Maybe raise the heim joint a little - maybe increase the thickness of the pad between aluminum extension and base plate… hopefully get me to the promise land :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My expirience is that we need 50mm to have room enough for most everyday street riding. With 50mm you only need to be aware going up and down curbs and the like. Speed bumps and such are normally no problem.

Here the trucks are set at -1cm

10 Likes

You may have the lowest board but this picture also proved the biggest balls, skating that build in socks!

5 Likes