EMTB Build Log | Custom gear drives | Stormcore | 12S6P P42A | Haero Bro |

Update! ESC installation

I decided to go with the Lacoix Stormcore 60D+ in the end because the BKB Xenith was out of stock everywhere. The Stormcore seems like a premium product; I like the metal casing, and that it comes with an XT90 connector for the battery and bullet connectors for the motors, just plug and play.

Everything fits within IDEA’s ESC case nicely; it is a bit of squeeze if you try and fit the motor bullet connectors within the case, but it is doable. I secured the Flipsky radio module to the plastic part of the ESC case using VHB tape as I figured I would achieve the strongest radio connection there.

The on/off button is connected to the RGB Switch JST PH-5 connector on the Stormcore using the supplied cable from Lacroix, and the Flipsky VX2 remote receiver is attached to the ACD/UART JST PH-8 connector on the Stormcore using the supplied cable from FlipSky.

Setting up the Stormcore was pretty straight forward, I used VESC tool 3.01 and updated the Stormcore firmware to V5.3. I found Pavel’s video pretty helpful as a guide.

5 Likes

Update! Build complete

I’m really happy with how this build turned out :blush: I’ve been riding it pretty much exclusively offroad down the mountain bike trails in the woods near my house. I used to mountain board as a kid, and this brought back a lot of good memories, I love that I can blast uphill as well as downhill now (we are living in the future!).

Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the completed board before riding it and covering it in dust, I was too excited to test it out!

It’s a lot torquier compared to my 6374 belt drive board with 6” pneumatics, I was riding 20 MPH uphill which is insane for me. I think the combination of 6384 motors and 5.29:1 gear ratio was a good choice, I can power up any hill and the top speed is high enough for me. I also found that the MBS Matrix 2 channel trucks are way more stable at high speed compared to my double kingpin board, I was comfortably going 25 MPH on flat grass surfaces and it didn’t feel sketchy at all.

I would say the combination of the FlipSky 6384 motors and gear drive is much louder compared to my other board with 6374 motors and belt drive; I think this mainly because the 6384 motors are loud AF. When free rolling, the gear drives don’t produce that much noise considering the metal-on-metal contact of the gears meshing. I think I could make them a little quieter by increasing the helix angle for the next prototype.

I’m going to thoroughly test the gear drives now and put them through some serious abuse to see how they hold up before going onto the next design iteration.

10 Likes