eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Also, I failed to mention it, but on the front hanger I just received, the axle is inside the aluminum from bearing race to bearing race, and not exposed like previous versions.

1 Like

Deck for my drives came in today! Unity is in the states. Just need a battery now :grin:

One thing I never considered until now… Motor Bite?! Haha. With a TKP setup it seems like the deck indeed does contact the motors. I’ll have to use a small riser

8 Likes

Exactly. A small riser is enough. Also the extra cushioning is desirable…

2 Likes

Hey Dude,
just wanted to share a good find with you.
I have bought these and will try to convert one to take the motors.
It’ll be a lot of filing to remove the alu hanger and expose the 12mm Hardened Steel axle to match the original hanger, but I think this will be way stronger.
As a bonafide 12mm axle and not stepped down to 8mm I will have to use trampa hubs with gummies on them. Dunno when I’ll get it all done but this is the road I’m going down.
These trucks retail in the UK for £20.
It cannot be true that making a hardened steel axle is so costly.
For the difference it makes to the durability of the axle, whatever the cost is…it is in my opinion worth it.

2 Likes

Please let us know how it turns out and how you do it, my drives are arriving this week and with At wheels it might stress the axle even more. I’m for sure interested!!

1 Like

To be honest, if you’re going to roll around on flat ground or go really fast in a straight line there is no reason these should bend.
But if you plan to ride a bit…ie proper skateboarding, the axles are not up to the task in my opinion.
[https://www.facebook.com/benutzer.thirtyseven/videos/pcb.220046122302070/220046002302082/?type=3&theater]

1 Like

All done,

I ground the aluminium off using a table grinder and a vice.
Take care not to grind the axle…as soon as you see sparks you’re grinding hard steel.
Proceed with caution and don’t rush when you get close to the axle.
It’s totally doable and easier than I was expecting.
Use a hand file to create the square ends needed for the motors and for rounding off the edges here and there.

I’m a biker. (used to be)
I got the idea how to connect the hub to the motor from a motorbikes rear wheel “cush-drive”.
I used “pro” squash balls as they are the smallest and fit the best. Cut into equal quarters.
I used the same bolts from the motor adapters. I didn’t tighten them all the way down as the head goes through the rubber easily. As the bolts are not tight…you’d think they would vibrate out? the rubber from the squash ball prevents this. It’s so simple that I had my doubts but it totally works…really well.
Pre drill the holes in the rubber to prevent ripping. Drill a smaller hole than the bolt for a tight fit.

It’s lost the skate feel that I’m after, but it turns and carves amazing. The trampa Gummies grip insanely but don’t free roll like a skate wheel does. I need to be on the power all the time which is not what I like.
It’s the reason I’m sticking with hubs or direct drives as they free roll like a normal deck does.

I’m not giving up yet though.
Trampa make 10mm skate trucks. Hardened hollow steel axle.
I can use trampa adapters so the 12mm motors fit tight on a 10mm axle, this will allow me to use the Caguamas that I had planned to use all along as there are bearings that fit a skate wheel and a 10mm axle.They had the best feeling and complimented the motors 58kv better, these trampa hubs have killed the torque obviously and the increased top end is something I don’t care for. I want to skate and do tricks, you can’t do anything at 28mph except go straight, hold on and pray you don’t crash, not my deal.
I ride my trucks loose AF, I live between 15mph and 20mph.
I have shared all my ideas and findings with Kenna but for some reason they are adamant that the un hardened axles are adequate, they’re not. I bent mine in 2 hours of riding (only two battery charges).
After three weeks of explaining and whatsapping I’m offered the exact same axle with no changes.
My wheel choice is not the reason these soft axles are bending, it’s the softness. I promise.

Anyways…

28 Likes

@Diggler. Awesome job.

@topcloud This reinforces what you have been saying all along. Getting motors and designing hangars. Ultimate combo.

5 Likes

Haha I have a few ideas :wink:

3 Likes

Dude this is so awesome. DIY at its best. I am concerned though about your turning with those trucks, as they’re meant to be on a board with angled ends from what I know.

5 Likes

Awesome Work @Diggler. Let us know how this goes.

I’ve gone in a different direction, when I was designing my ABEC hub adapter I added a support bearing in the adapter to help support the axle and reduce the cantilever.

I would have never thought of this except for your posts. Thanks!!!

7 Likes

The EW Super-Glider is amazing Bro. Just about as versatile as a deck could be.
The construction of it is on another level in my opinion.
Who on earth uses mahogany in a skate deck…never mind carbon fibre? Earthwing does!

I am an old skool skater, born in '72 started in '77 because my older brother skated and little brothers copy big brothers! I never quit and don’t think I ever will or can.
My introduction to eboards was Casey Neistat and right from the off I was just thinking…“no, this is not what I know to be skating…etc…”. I was frustrated that something so dear to me was being so poorly represented. Then I saw Moja on the enertion board and instantly could relate and wanted a board. At the time I couldn’t afford the boards that I wanted but knew that the skate parts of the chinese boards were not up to scratch yet. Then came the wowgo 3 with the Paris front truck and I committed based on the inclusion of real skate parts and the belief that the bamboo + fibre glass deck was good quality.
2.5 months later…the only things that have not broken or failed at some point on the wowgo are the battery, the front wheels and the paris truck.
I don’t want to be overly critical but for fucks sake people, there is some serious piss taking going on here.
The rear truck broke hitting a crack in the road.
Trucks are, or should be the strongest component on a skateboard, period.
I’ve broken decks and have seen in videos wheels exploding from big drops but don’t ever remember trucks breaking or bending like I see in the esk8 community. It’s frustrating as hell as it’s such an integral part of a deck. And they mastered how to make them years ago.
When the Wowgo arrived I was surprised how ultra flexi the deck was, I’m 90kg so not a little kid anymore but this was like riding a piece of chewing gum.
I stuck it out ignoring my dissapointment at the experience until the bamboo chipped a massive chunk off just by my scuffing it slightly while hold it upright on the road.
I took the opportunity to use this as the excuse to change the board and found the Earthwing deck after looking at all options. The difference in quality cannot be overstated, it’s literally night and day.
The Earthwing is constructed in the US (New York i believe) uses literally the best materials possible:
“a unique v-laminated aspen, and mahogany core that keeps the deck super light, and stiff. Built with pre-cured unidirectional carbon this razor thin sprinter / bomber can handle anything”.
It retails in the UK for £141

The Wowgo 3 deck is made in China (nothing wrong with that) from Bamboo and fibre glass. It’s not great but it works albeit…unimpressively and retails from China, the place where it’s made for £135.
This is where I get frustrated, no explanation needed. This is either ignorance or plain greed.
“But it’s got a really flexi deck”, this people…does not mean it’s a good deck.
As for the hubs and urethane, no need to explain, we all know.

So I meet some other esk8 dudes in London with evolves and realise what is possible.
While I was impressed by the quality, they still didn’t skate like skateboards.
Then I find this forum and the elofty story.
I can see potential, hub drive, free rolling and real skate wheels.
It was like finding the solution to all my issues, but nearly $400 after import tax…who cares right? Imagine the feeling…smooth buttery urethane, non jerky acceleration and natural feeling free-roll.
I commit, they arrive…a few dissapointments, no bolts, need to file the axle etc but hey, we are at the forefront of a future movement and we are like test pilots. That’s how I feel anyway.
I don’t mind a few niggles when we are essentially prototyping with the help of the manufacturers in China. But when I realise I’m paying top dollar for sub standard components I’m saddened to say the least.
Nobody is making me do this…I know, but I’m risking my health when I’m making and testing this stuff.
I do my best to make it work and ride the best, I’d have hoped the manufacturers would do the same.
Don’t cut ANY corners just for the sake of maximising more profit. These things are super dangerous when they are working perfectly, but when they are made with flaws because of money it’s almost criminal to be letting mostly unskilled riders fly at top speed (the biggest selling point) on something that is not bulletproof.
It needs to be bulletproof, it really does, just like a skateboard is.

So I set up my board with the new drives, instantly loving them.
I knew I was taking a risk riding off of curbs on these super wide axles with my heavy old ass, but I need to know because I NEED TO DO THIS. Can anyone else relate?
These vanguard shaped decks that dominate the esk8 world are just not able to give the skate feel a skater loves. Skaters understand, and I’m not trying to be elitist either. The feeling of lifting the front with a tail and dropping casually off the curb onto the road at speed is a simple pleasure that you need to feel to understand. Take this away and that’s half of the fun gone. I’m up and down curbs between the sidewalk and road non stop.
So after doing this for a total of two battery charges (2hrs skating) I notice the bending axles and get in touch with Kenna. I tell her what I’ve done and how I’ve done it and we are still going back and forth.
I’ll not elaborate yet on how it all pans out but so far I’ve lost confidence in this company.
My stance is this: if an old 47 year old skater can do this to these axles, imagine what the kids will be doing. I see videos of these drives being ridden around some kind of smooth plaza somewhere in asia.
It looks like a lot of fun for the beginners who are riding around but there are people out there like me who bend these things in 2 hours while doing some of the most conservative basic skating.
I’d understand if I was jumping 10 stair sets etc, but we’re talking curbs here.

My 12mm axle project is the result of much frustration and exasperation at trying to explain something to somebody who does not believe me.
The 12mm axles are perfect and super strong but the lack of normal skate wheel is unacceptable to me.
Next project will hopefully address this issue.
I’ll be sharing once the trucks arrive and I get my grinder going.

@topcloud I love the surf rodz trucks, the base plate design is pure genius.
The only downside for me is the price.
I’m looking for TKP trucks that are strong and reasonably priced.
I know esk8 stuff is more expensive than what I was used to paying for skate parts, but some of these inflated prices make no sense to me.
Especially when it’s just the skate hardware from unknown brands.

These look promising. They’re on their way.
10 inch wide 9.5m hardened steel axle, solid not hollow.
I’ve found nothing similar for the money, I’m hopeful.

These are the real prices, if this shit fails…I’m not bummed.
But if you re-sell these at say $139 + shipping and it fails I am going to think WTF?
Ya feel me?

@mishrasubhransu Thanks dude. x

@kook I love the Abec adapter, I’m glad that anything that I’ve shared has helped in making things better. That’s what I’m trying to do here, I think we all are. x

@Not2tall4esk8 I hope my build gave you some ideas Bro. x

@anorak234 Dude, we think alike. When I bought these trucks, I was aware that they are mounted at an angle on a kite / mountain board so I made these wedges out of a fat riser.
They don’t make angled risers this steep so it was the first thing I made on this project.
Once it was all done, the turning circle with these risers and the relatively short wheelbase of my deck due to it having a tail, was crazy. I could literally turn 180 in the space of 2.5 - 3 meters. So unstable and twitchy, but “turny” as a mother!
So I stepped down to the regular angled risers that I always use, still too much turning angle…to my surprise.
So these are the first trucks I’ve ever used on a longboard without angled risers.
I like a longboard deck to turn like a normal short wheelbase skateboard, these angled risers allow for that. They change the pivot angle.
Looking at the pivot pin angle, these trucks turn better than the pivot angle would suggest.
I imagine the fact I’m using them on a smaller board with a smaller wheelbase than they were intended for, is the reason behind the surprising responsiveness. I’ll post a video at some point showing how the board rides when I get it to how I want it to be. I’m not there yet. x

I was only meant to reply to you @topcloud and ended up on a rant!
To be honest I feel better now I’ve said it though, it was cathartic.
I just love skateboarding, I’ll champion this scene till I die and help it progress any way I can.
With or without motors.

Dirk
x

More pics:

They don’t make this deck anymore, I’ll always have a spare until I can’t find them to buy.

Funny thing is: these truck axles are pre cambered like @Winfly said in an earlier post.
All my drama about bending axles and the ones that are the best come pre bent!
I checked and they were both not straight when they arrived, but have not bent anymore and I’ve treated them really, really badly already.
LOL, you can’t make this shit up.

Laters folks.
x

21 Likes

People like you make me love this community ! Keep up and ride on!

2 Likes

Hi Diggler

If you have a riding video, please share it.

My set has been stuck in Australian Customs for 2 weeks, but Kenna is helping me get them cleared.

My desk is also delayed due to lack of evo’s in OZ.

This may be a good option for these drives what do you guys think?

8 Likes

oh snap! good find.
shut up and take my money! =D
I’ll definitely be getting these when I get my elofty build underway

EDIT:
first time on the site. you know if anyone here runs it?

1 Like

I belive @Liuqiu-Ownboard runs it but I may be wrong.

2 Likes

im curious how these tires are mounted to that kegel core. Are they replaceable??
The same tires are listed on alibaba as scooter and go-kart tires (minus the kegel cores of course)

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Nedong-airless-tire-6-1-6_62092519861.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.67.bfa619fbLdw938

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/NEW-6inch-Airless-Rubber-Electric-Scooter_62095831861.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.168.bfa619fbLdw938

3 Likes

oh snap. nice find
They most likely CNC’d the hub themselves

1 Like