eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

No, I said that elofty also stock the 58kv. However elofty does not produce the 58kv in house. Hope this clears things up

2 Likes

Donā€™t buy these drives theyā€™re garbage
@mmaner please close

1 Like

So yesterday I started my claim and lo-and behold Kenna got back to me.
She confirms that the price is for two motors also, which I donā€™t need and didnā€™t ask for.
The price is regular price, no discount but I already knew that.
I am sure she thinks that I have been riding around for 4 months, I can assure everyone here I have not. It would be pointless trying to convince her otherwise though.
The Paypal procedure is to deal with the seller firstā€¦which I have been trying to do for months now, but obviously not through the Paypal dispute channels.
My claim has started with me asking via Paypal, elofty / Kenna for a full refund.
Itā€™s simply a formality. I have 20 days until the case is closed by Paypal. They say on the website that sellers usually respond within 2-3 days and give an answer to how or what they are willing to do. Iā€™ll give them a week then Iā€™ll escalate it so Paypal get involved and make a final decision. Iā€™m willing to accept nothing less than a full refund including the postage, itā€™s that or we hand it over to Paypal and they can make the final decision. I may get nothing, I may get it all.
In my mind Iā€™ve already written off the monetary loss, I just want to take positive action to finally end this disaster of a purchase experience.
I might be $368 down, but after starting this case, I feel like a weight has been lifted.

2 Likes

I envy your patience :smiley: It took my one day to do the paypal refund thing, I had the feeling I was talking to a chatbot.

6 Likes

I donā€™t disagree. At this time, I would not recommend these anymore. But that doesnā€™t warrant closure. But I am going to revise the title.

8 Likes

Good idea. Iā€™ll make a poll to see which drive variants fails and in what way. Then we can ask people to stay away from them.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea. Weā€™ve needed that for a while now.

2 Likes

Wow, I know that there have been some issues with the direct drive. However, how would closing the thread do any good?
I do not agree with the customer service provided by elofty at all.
However, as a vendor who stock the 58kv version, there has been major improvements stated above to fix issues in the past. (we are not related to elofty).

I donā€™t know how many people bought from elofty, but can anyone who had a positive experience with the direct drive say something?

8 Likes

I have the early 58kv version, Iā€™ve ridden them a ton, and Iā€™m really pleased. So the fact that you have focused on the 58kv version would seem to be a good omen.

It sure seems like there are more problems with the 72kv ā€œscratchy canā€ version, which Iā€™m hoping will be borne out by the @mishrasubhransu poll. There are even some issues with the TB DDs, for which Dexter is already exploring solutions.

8 Likes

I got it soon after @BillGordon posted his review and itā€™s the same original 58KV version. I use it with 10s battery and 6x2" tires and absolutely love it. My dual 6374 belt drive is just gathering dust. I have 700km on these direct drives already. No bent axle or repeated nut tightening problems for me. Torque is enough to climb any hills near me. One side started making noise, which went away when I put bearing oil. So I just use that once a week. And one more thing, it will heat up if you go uphill for 4 miles or more.

@Esk8supply, letā€™s hope you have get no complaints of the drive you sell. If you do, please track down the manufacturers of the original drives and get those for customers.

7 Likes

Good to hear!
I guess the big wheels do put some strain on the motors uphill.

We will make sure the drive are good when they leave us, also the supplier for the 58kv is the same (not elofty) with some improvements since then

3 Likes

Thanks man.
I have the patience of a saint, i really do.
I always try and see the positive even in bleak situations as thatā€™s the best chance of finding a solution.
Also, when you have gone above and beyond what is deemed reasonable, you can then fight your case knowing with absolute certainty that the cause of the misunderstanding / problem was not your doing.
I am now in full emotionless android lawyer mode.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a discussion thread, we donā€™t closer those.

3 Likes

Damn reading all this makes me hella skeptical that I participated in the group buy. The only reason I bought them is for the seamless installment. I honestly donā€™t feel like fucking around for months like I did with the those shitty Raptor hubs.

So my question here is, how are issues with these drives to be handled when/if they occur @Esk8supply. Is there anyway you can tell which version of the 72KV the group buy will receive? The 58KV sound nice with all those improvements but thatā€™d be hella slow even on 12S. Any idea on if/when the 72KV will get those upgrades?

Unfortunately I can not speak for the 72kv dd as Iā€™m getting them from elofty. They are not from the same factory so they are not going to receive the same upgrades.
You will get the drive sent to you as part of the group buy, I will help you with all customer service dealing with elofty. This is actually making me question whether I should include the 72kv in the group buy. :sweat_smile:
Iā€™m not sure what hella slow in your eyes is haha, for me, 28mph is fast enough.

1 Like

I got 20-21mph with 10S and 25mph with 12S on the esk8 calc. Also 30-34 is the sweet spot for me.

Yeah the 72Kv seem like theyā€™re gonna be a pain in the ass. I just dont want to end up like the other dude in this post who got fucked with these drives. Is there any ETA on when this new factory will make these in a higher kv?

1 Like

I get 22.5 with 58kv and 110mm wheels on 10S.

2 Likes

So itā€™s not the KV which matters, itā€™s the variant. There are 72kv versions of the original variant.

In fact I have one, unused waiting to be put on my next board.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll let you know when the time comes.
30-34 would be only achievable by the 6 inch wheels rn

Had some pretty big issues with my direct drives tooā€¦ Just sharing stuff in case it would help.
On the first batch got a loose stator, missing a keyway to lock the stator in place thus broken wires.

Also the axle was to big for 8mm bearings I had to grind it a bitā€¦
On the newer ones I immediately noticed that the axle was offset with the adapter. See the picture (the adapter fits centered on the motor even without screws)

Resulting in broken pins because of too much mechanical stress. Happenned while going full speed downhill, suddenly had only one motor braking. Melted the Kegel core of my wheel by friction.
I designed and printed an adapter that uses m5 screws. Will test and report on this. Need to find a 10x22mm bearing tho.

4 Likes