eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Anyone wants to trade their eLofty 58kv Kegel adapter with my ABEC-Adapter?
@Esk8supply Do you have the Kegels adapters for sale?

3 Likes

I do :slight_smile: Hit me up for a discount :wink:

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I recently bought some DD DKT from onewow. Aparently the have redesigned the motors and now they are 64KV.

Looking for some parts for my DIY board, I came out with this post. After spending 1,5 days reading the 1328 answers, Iā€™m now a little worried about all I have readā€¦

For what I understand from this post onewoew uses the original elofty configuration, so it should be less problematic that the clone Kenna version, BUT did anyone know anything of this new 64KV version?

It looks that they solved the unscrewing can problem adding some bolts on the truck side.

Any words on the axel? Are they the ones not het treated?

Any info would be truly appreciated.

Iā€™m also doing a 12s4p battery pack and i have some doubts about using a bms for charging only or for charging and discharging as my intention is to use the new hobbywing 12s ESC.

With this ESC I cannot change the discharging rates from my battery and that is why I was thinking about a charge/discharge BMS to protect my battery.

What do you guys think?

Thank you for your help!!

1 Like

I cant really speak to the axle problem. Its good they addressed the unscrewing can. As far as I know, most of the newer drives have fixed the axel issues, but dont quote me on that.

As far as your BMS question goes, I (and most people on this forum) would recommend that you bypass the discharge circuit and wire it charge-only. Pretty much all BMSā€™s only have one way to control how much current it is discharging, and that is by disabling dicharge entirely.

What that means is that if you accidentally pull too many amps (or push too many amps back to the battery) then your board will shut off leaving you with no control at all. Most here agree that it is better to hurt your battery than yourself.

That said, your hobbywing ESC likely has itā€™s amp limit pretty low compared to what a lot of people here build. Do you know what itā€™s max discharge Amperage is? 30A?

What cells are in your pack? In a 4p configuration, any cells that can do at least 7.5A continuous discharge can supply 30A. So if you are using Samsung 30qā€™s for example, they are good for 20A per cell. Multiply that by 4, and a 4p pack can deliver 80A continuous. Probably plenty of headroom for your ESC.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help!

I have been trying to contact hobbywing through the email posted on their web to get full specs of the esc but I always get a failure in the email delivery, like the account doesnā€™t exist anymoreā€¦which gives me a lot of confidenceā€¦
So IĀ“m not sure about the discharge Amperage. I assume is 30 A as you said.

To be fair, I have been using the hobbywing 10s esc for around 2k km and I didnā€™t have any issue with it, that is why I went for its big brother.

Although the breaks are kind of weak, you get a good reliable product for your $.

My cells are Samsung 30Q yes, so it is good to hear that i will work without the discharging BMS.

Again, thank you for your time :slight_smile:

Yeah man, thats what we are here for :slightly_smiling_face:

I believe that these ESCā€™s come pre-programmed with an amp limit from the factory (they are not user-programable like VESC-based ESCā€™s which are the standard in DIY) so i think the only accurate source for this info would be from the vendor you purchased it from. Did the listing say anything about Watts? Because since we know volts, if they list watts then we can solve for Amps.

Yep that battery (assuming it is assembled correctly and with quality materials) should be able to do 80A continuous discharge, and -16A continuous charge (regenerative breaking). I can not imagine that the hobbywing will get anywhere close to those numbers, so you are golden.

Would love to see your build, post pics of it here if you want, and feel free to ask any and all of your questions here. Welcome to the forum!

Now that itā€™s finally not snowing here, Iā€™ve had the chance to ride my Eloftys more. Whisper quiet, smooth and no issues now that Iā€™ve got an abec adapter that doesnā€™t break and everything is loctite in place.

These wheels suck but I wanted purple. Iā€™ve got some 100mm boas coming in that I can just dye purple tho.

Is running 100mm wheels on 72kv DD a bad idea? I donā€™t weigh much. Maybe 63kg or so.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Those look cool! I dig the big contact patch on the boas tho!

Got a link on this?

1 Like

not yetā€¦ iā€™ts acetone vapor bathing right nowā€¦ If it proves solid, Iā€™ll thingaverse itā€¦

Idk if you remember but I reinforced mine by having screwholes make up part of the core insert and threading in screws and cutting them. Could do the same with this

1 Like

Iā€™ve looked at that a LOTā€¦ but as of this version I have ZERO layer delaminations and do some Cura tricks at heavily loaded sections of the 3d modelā€¦ I may experiment with thru-bolts but presently itā€™s not requiredā€¦

you do know, that the bearing support on the eLofty axle will not fit a 10mm IDbearing itā€™s a hair overā€¦ I chucked my axle up in a drill press and used emery cloth to take the axle down to sizeā€¦

BTW 2 hours of solar acetone vapor bath @90F outside, is about 45mins too longā€¦ that is allā€¦

1 Like

I am using 72KV E-lofty with 100mm Boas without issues, however initial torque isnā€™t that great, if you get pass the10mi/h mark they pull quite okay and drag you up some hills too. However doing starts from a dead stop at an incline will heat the motors quite seriously.

2 Likes

Do you have the V2s? Iā€™ve been riding my V1 with 3D printed adapters for months with no issues.

I donā€™t know the dimensions of the V2 screw placements, but it should be easy to modify my design.

1 Like

I guess you missed @ryansinatraā€™s epic ABEC adapter debacle right here in this very thread

2 Likes

Hmm apparently I did, or forgot. I scrolled up for a while but didnā€™t see anything. What happened? :open_mouth:

1 Like

it starts here if youā€™re interested