eLofty Direct Drive Discussions-read before buying

Actually on second though, I might try to limit motor amps first. Asides from potentially keep them cool, what else would lowering motor current do? I’m thinking of going from +/-60A to maybe ±/40A?

1 Like

Trying here first… does anyone have an extra pair of kegel adapters they’d like to sell or maybe trade for abec adapters?

I’m running them on 40/-60a (each) and they’re running great. I don’t brake hard often, but its there when I need it

1 Like

yeah I might! I’ll check when I get home @RyEnd

1 Like

Am I correct to think that motor max and min more or less directly correlates to torque and low speed braking? I’m fairly certain of the first one but I can’t remember if motor min was high speed or low speed brake since I know at some point the brake goes from motor min to battery min

selling a set of the original 58kv motors if anyone is interested

1 Like

Did the screws holding the cans on come on anything other than the $160 boundmotor drives?

2 Likes

Yes, motors use the most torque on startup. When you’re already cruising at 30km/h, it takes like 5a to maintain that speed. (an example)
Uphill also uses more current.

I think it was low speed brake?

1 Like

Yes, the OG 58kv eLofty.

1 Like

@annihil8ted what wheels are you running?

3 days too late; ordered from eSk8supply earlier this week. Good luck!

2 Likes

Im running 6x2 :joy:

1 Like

Doing a full tear down and service on them on tje weekend will soak the bearimg in turbo oil. Board is getting a rebuild soon might swap these elofty clones for the up coming neo direct drives. Dkp isnt great at 40km/hr +. I have my evolve if i want to carve.

1 Like

LMAO, i wonder whyy… XD

The overheating thing? Or the fact I live in Texas?

I think 58KV running 6in should be perfectly fine.

1 Like

Yeah doing your uphill full throttles on 6x2 will definitely overheat. Im using cloud wheels and it overheats on long/fast hills :confused:

2 Likes

Mmm that’s fair but it’s so hard to leave the plushy ride! Especially here in Texas with crappy roads. I still have confidence in them so I’m going lower motor min and hope for the best.

Honestly though, I was thinking why not create a sleeve with small blades on it. Effectively, it would become a heat sink and if you angle the blades such that they become fans blades, it’d be even better at cooling.

1 Like

If I had access to a lathe, I would definitely attempt this to see if it would help

There was some good info on this over on a different thread. Essentially:

• Out of the factory the heat builds on the stator and not the Can
  • Better thermal conductivity can be had by pulling off the drives and re-seating against the hanger using some CPU thermal compound. This helps use the hanger as a bit of a heat sink for the stator.
  • Others have tried to add some Statorade into the motors directly which helps move some of the heat from the stator out to the Can, where the increased surface area can help move the heat away. The black magic here is knowing exactly how much to use so that the level within maximizes heat transfer without notably affecting performance. If this can be successfully done on DD, then a thermal sleeve (as you mention) might be a great match.

I will try to track this info down if I get a moment. I have a week or so before I will need to cross this bridge, but I’ll make sure to document on my build thread.

6 Likes

Now the Bound Motor Deal is finished whats the current best deal on a DD kits for a mates board?

1 Like