EboardSolutions Flexible battery PCB KIT PRE-ORDER

Not so true 1.5 by 8mm our Nickle will start to heat up at 4.9 Amp

8 by 0.15 is aprox 1.2mm2
copper carrying 19 amp ish will be at 70deg c in a air temp of 35 deg C and coppers a much better conductor than Nickle 3 and a bit times better.

You rate Battery packs according to its weakest point. 1 little Nickle tab is a week point it adds resistant that heats up. To much heat is just bad for electrics and battery’s and carying current, voltdrop. Down to a balance of how much heat and reduced life you think is acceptable.

it seems 7mm wide is kind of a standard size for 18650 but you could use 12mm and .3mm thick.

copper is over four times as conductive as nickel

it would be nice to do a simple test putting current through with a power supply on the bench. I think the standards here (https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68005 ) are pretty conservative as well as matador’s. there’s the big variable of how long at the current and also the ability to get rid of heat. of course lower electrical resistance being the better performer beyond the safety concerns and better just to go bigger

It seems everyone is way under spec on these tabs and maybe people are following in the footsteps of ebikers where they generally aren’t pulling as much per cell, and cells are getting more powerful

extrapolating from niobie’s guide I posted a 12x.3 strip would be considered good for up to 16amps and acceptable up to 25amps.

Someone riddle me this

All these ampacity charts you guys posted, why doesn’t it mention the length of the wire/nickel strip in the data?

so 20awg is good for 10 amps? but over what length? a metre?

What happens if you are only using 5cm? can you pull 20 amps over a much shorter distance? these charts make absolutely no sense without knowing the length of the wires.

2 Likes

The longer the wire, the more heat, but also more material for that heat to spread in. That is why length doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Will do some current tests :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Length definitely does matter, ask your woman!

Seriously thought current decreases as resistance increases in the length.

1 Like

Did some current testing with the pcb only, put it in series with my 12s5p battery pack on my mountainboard went riding in grass for 15 minutes, wasn’t able to get heat in the PCB :slight_smile:

As expected Bestech did it right :wink:

The final nickel is not yet ready but will test that on high current aswell. But I guess that won’t be a problem aswell.

10 Likes

Can you confirm the dimensions of the pcb? I looked on your website but seems like it could be wrong. Thanks.

455x141mm, it was wrong indeed, thx! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Uh oh it’s awlready on the “China market”

4 Likes

Yes it’s litech (part of bestech) I made it togheter with them :slight_smile:

But if you check total price with nickel and battery holders you’re better of with my pre-sale price :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I knew it was a collaboration but dident realize they had the rights to sell it as well. I’m pretty sure the $27 that there selling it for includes the nickel and battery holders. Also why .3mm nickle? Most welders that people have can’t do .3 nickle.

1 Like

No 26usd is only for the pcb :slight_smile:

Tried to weld 0,3mm nickel, it’s okay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In the description of the $26 it says it includes it I guess it was a mistake

1 Like

It’d be cool if the holes the nickel goes through allowed a couple more layers of 0.2mm nickel strip… maybe even a mm or so extra so we can layer more nickel on the cells, down to the traces, and a solder some loose (keeping it flexy) flat braid across the pads to really up the ampacity of the board for 4P with 35A cells like VTC5a for 140A and minimal sag/heating.

3 Likes

yeah it’s not very clear
https://www.litechpower.com/e_skateboardkits/
All parts togheter will be 66USD :wink:

1 Like

Ever find how much copper is on it? Claims can do eighty amps but pcb standards are very low and still looks like maybe 18 awg

1 Like

2 layers of 1.5oz 30mm wide for the long piece, did a field test and it was no problem :slight_smile:

The 80A continious is prolly a bit ambitious :wink:

I’m confused looking at the pics. I guess they decided on the one long trace coming back, probably safer, but to me it looks like that long coming back trace is really only on the one side as its a disconnected trace w two balance traces cutting it on the other side. and there aren’t any vias to connect the two sides anyway. Am I missing something?

Could it be connected on a midplane or something? Could be a multi layer pcb